Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 4 speed (I think it's 4) automatic transmission, I've noticed on the cooler mornings it's a bit slow on the up-shifts until it seems to warm up. I've only had the car a few months, and the temps have only been getting into the mid 40's at the coolest, is this nothing unusual? By the time I roll out of the housing development, it's pretty much just fine, that takes maybe about 5 minutes from the start of rolling out of the garage. It's not bad, but it just seems to hang on to 1st a little long until it's warmed up. After that it's perfectly fine. I just wonder if it's a sign of maybe needing the fluid changed in the transmission and maybe a filter if there's one in there? Ferris, Ferris, anyone, anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Well, your '99 has a drain plug for the torque converter too, so you are lucky in that you can pretty easily replace about 95% of your ATF. That's a job that most agree ought to be done about every 50K miles. Use the correct ATF when you do this job. Hopefully someone will jump in and confirm/deny, but I seem to recall that the transmission is designed to hold the shifts a bit longer until the car warms up.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Mine is the same at 75k miles but I think I read on here that the transmission needs a service every 40k miles which I think is a fluid change and a filter.

From the bills that came with my car I don't think mine has been done at 40k so booking mine in soon with my local garage but this month I had the second pair of tyres and a service and oil change so counting pennies at the moment

Other transmissions are sealed for life

I think you have a five speed transmission - do you have the tip tronic? Down shift once and it goes from drive into 4

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, your '99 has a drain plug for the torque converter too, so you are lucky in that you can pretty easily replace about 95% of your ATF. That's a job that most agree ought to be done about every 50K miles. Use the correct ATF when you do this job. Hopefully someone will jump in and confirm/deny, but I seem to recall that the transmission is designed to hold the shifts a bit longer until the car warms up.
Being a fairly new owner, I don't have a reference to how it should run, but changing the fluid to me seemed like a no-brainer. I have the same issue with the ride and exhaust noise. I guess I should go out and drive a few to get a feel for how my car should ride and sound. Not that there's issues, I just need a frame of reference.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
KFC domain network error but thanks for the iPad info didn't know I could do that

I will try my laptop tonight as that looks a useful download

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Thanks both despite the error message- while I was out today it downloaded and I printed it out but I will load it up on my laptop so I can save it:sBannana2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts