Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission / torque convertor issues???

10K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my 1999 SLK230 for just over 3 years with no issues.
The other day my husband was driving. We had driven a couple of hundred km's when at some traffic lights he accelerated I noticed the car made a low pitched screaming winding sounding noise. Didn't think anything of it until about 2km's down the road driving normally the car went into neutral.
We pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and on again, put the car into drive and tried to move off. The car made the same low pitched noise staying in gear for about 100m but then dropped back into neutral again.
The car would stay in neutral unless it was turned off and restarted.
Ended up having to get the car towed to my mechanic who thinks it is either the transmission or the torque convertor.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong / had something similar happen before?

Car is worth approx NZD$10k and cost of repair is estimated at $8 - $9k (including $1200 for a new headlight which was on order but now I have put on hold)

See less See more
#2 ·
My options I'm thinking about are
1) Fix it and hopefully it doesn't cost more than the car is worth. (was about to sell the car anyway us need to upgrade for family reasons :))
2) Sell it as is
3) Sell it as parts

#3 ·
#4 ·
Transmission?

Not Sure how they do it in NZ, but was the 8-9k quote from the dealer? If so go to an independent shop. They will rebuild it or put a used one in, I don't now the price but I suspect for a lot, lot less.

P.s 1200 NZ dollars for a headlight? Thats 990 usd for a headlight on a 13 year old car, or put it another way, 10% of the value of that car is now the headlight! Buy a set of projectors from eBay for 150usd.

I think its silly to go to the dealer for a 10+ year old MB unless it can't be helped ( STAR or seething like that) good luck

#5 ·
No I don't go to the dealer anymore. I was told not to bother when car is out of warranty and over 10 years old.

The headlight adjuster is broken, literally. Apparently it's been like that for years and they only just picked it up. Means my headlight moves up and down when going over bumps etc.

My mechanic hasn't been able to find a secondhand transmission or headlight so all new. It is hideously expensive I agree. 10% of car worth for 1 headlight! When the shocks needed replacing I got them from the US and was under half the price even with postage.

#6 ·
I've found a 98 SLK230 at a damaged car auction which has been rear ended.

Is anyone able to check Chassis numbers to see if they are compatable????

My Car
· Engine no: 1117-732274708
· Chassis: WDB1704472F151206

Auction Car
· Engine no: 11197322025395
· Chassis: WDB1704472F051958

Much appreciated!

#7 ·
I assume your mechanic checked the ATF fluid level as a first step. If that was okay, then dropping the transmission pan could tell a lot. Saying it is the transmission or the torque converter without some testing could get real expensive. If he guesses wrong and now has to replace the other component, who pays for that? You unfortunately. With a '99 model you are lucky to be able to drain both the torque converter and the transmission to replace the fluid. Has that ever been done? Does your mechanic know about the common problems with this transmission, i.e. the electrical connector leaking and the conductor plate being damaged by the leaking fluid? Those repairs are a whole lot less expenvie than what he's talking about.

Len

#9 ·
sokoloff - They have found debris in the filter from something that has exploaded within the transmission so think it is a bit more than just a fluid change unfortunately. The car is undrivable which makes it harder for them to access what could have 'exploded'.

It has done 130 000 kms (about 81 000 miles)

#12 ·
I just found out about the debris. They can't tell me what has failed unless they open it up, but I don't really want to have to pay for that when I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it - write it off and fix it...
We had been driving open road for about 1 hr when it happened.

Will cost approx NZD7500 to fix the car, and I will get about $10000 if I sell it..
Or do I try selling as is and see if I can get more.
Man I really loved the car, and was going to sell soon anyway due to Babies :)

#13 ·
Shifting delay and kick

About a month or two ago I flushed tranny oil, replaced with MB filter and everything was seeming pretty normal when driving. Get up to temp and fluid levels are nice and tranny fluid has a nice color to this day. Leaving the parking lot recently I noticed that when I floored the petal, it took a good second for everything to "wind up" and kick into high gear. When I let off the throttle, the tranny downshifted and bucked me like a mule. Since... it has had this problem a little more often. Sometimes it is very responsive and other times she is sluggish and there is this delay when I want to pass someone.

Another thing I recently noticed, maybe unrelated. When I start the car cold in the morning, she idles nice in P until put her into D. Once in D she starts to grumble and hesitates on takeoff. It's little slow getting going and I noticed that it seems to be hanging in the lower gear without upshifting for a second. After about a mile or two down the road she's fine and do not have any more issues throughout the day.

Really love this car and am getting a little worried there may be a bigger issue taking place. Both belts were recently changed out and I have replaced all mounts including tranny. Oil is also fresh and MAF clean. Any thoughts? Nearest repair shop is 3hrs in Salt Lake City.

#14 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.