Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 2001 (automatic) SLK 230 on a nice 2-hour country drive the other day. Parked her and she sat in the shade for a few hours. Started her to go home, shifted to drive - didn't notice until it was too late but there was more resistance in the gear shift than usual, and there was kind of a loud pop.

Didn't think too much of it as we drove off down the hill and pulled out on the main road - she will not shift from 1st. Will also not shift from Drive to Reverse or Park unless I take my foot off the brake or turn the ignition off. The gear indicator in the speedo is all black and doesn't change regardless of gear.

I've read a few articles and they all seem to point to the gear shift assembly module, but most of those posts seem to involve liquid damage. My problem seems/sounded more like a physical issue. Is there something that can come loose or break that would cause this issue?

Assuming that it is the gear shift assembly module, has anyone found a good source for new/used units? Anyone parting an SLK (or have the part number for the control module?)?

I've also read that the new units must be programmed, and I've also seen that they don't need to be - which is correct?

Thanks!
-Chris

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
Is the Check Engine Light burning? Could be an engine problem and the car is in Limp Home Mode. It will run in first gear only.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

It is, didn't even really think to check the code since it seemed indicative of a transmission module.

I'll check that tonight.

Will it still rev to 6k in limp mode?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled codes last night and got P0705 (Transmission) and a P0130 (O2 sensor).
Erased the codes and started the car. The PRNDL indicator is still solid black and I still can't shift to R/P unless I turn the car off.

I guess I'll pull the trans control module out this weekend and have a peek.

Still love to have a part number for that control module and a good/cheap place to buy one.

Thanks!
-Chris

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Chris,
Mercedes gives it's Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) software away for free to US residents. It will ask for a credit card but the annual subscription is free. Once you install the software on your machine and put in your VIN# it will tell you every part in your car with part #'s etc. It takes a little getting used to, but it is a great source of information.

Here is the link to get started.

EPC-net Online

Best Wishes,
Gene

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info - thanks! I'll check that out shortly.

Ed - got your PM but I'm a few posts short of being able to send a PM. PM me your email address?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
In before Jeff.

Go to the New Members forum and welcome 5 people and you're there !

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,360 Posts
Thanks Gene, Mini-me!!

If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
Pulled codes last night and got P0705 (Transmission) and a P0130 (O2 sensor).
Erased the codes and started the car. The PRNDL indicator is still solid black and I still can't shift to R/P unless I turn the car off.

I guess I'll pull the trans control module out this weekend and have a peek.

Still love to have a part number for that control module and a good/cheap place to buy one.

Thanks!
-Chris
You might want to check the cam adjuster on the front of the engine. It might be leaking oil, this has been known to cause O2 going bad. If it is leaking take it to MB and they will install a new one and put in a wire patch free ofcharge. A Service Campain was sent out in 2010 to dealers to fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice info on the freebie. I was told (according to the VIN) that Mercedes had replaced the wiring harness before I bought it. The O2 error is probably on due to revving the crap out of the car trying to get it to shift.

Forgot to mention, after I reset the codes, I started the car and the CE did not light again. My BAS/ESP light is lit though and the trans acts the same as before the codes were reset.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the Indy shop near me - Black Forest, highly recommended! - and had it fixed. 900 bucks, but my baby is happy again!

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really just posting this as a memory/blog of issues with the car...

As of 10/17 having new problems with the control module. Afternoon commute in stop-n-go traffic I felt the trans 'stick' in second gear. As congestion eased it started shifting properly. No harm, no foul.

10/18, commuting again in the afternoon and the CE light came on accompanying a stuck shift. + and - gave no result on the shifter. Again it cleared up and I got to my home town and stopped for gas.
As usual, put it in Park, shut it off, fueled it up, started it up... stuck in Park.

Codes were P0705, P0130 and P0170. Cleared them, found the override switch and got it out of Park. Tried putting it in Drive, the gear indicator stayed solid black and the car would not move under its own power.

Pushed it out of the way and waited for a tow. Waiting now to hear from the shop. The part is almost 4 months old to the day and has ~5500 miles on it.

Wish me luck SLK World!

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Sorry to hear about all these troubles. If your car was a R171 I'd say conductor plate speeds sensor issue, but this is of course a totally different transmission. Please keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slipping transmission

This sounds very similar to the problems I am having with my 1999 Kompressor. I have been taking her to the MB dealer in Augusta, GA and am about to take her again this morning. I see where people are pulling the codes for the car -- I don't want to sound dumb, but how do you do that? The MB dealer said they are unable to get a code for this latest problem -- they fixed the first problem to the tune of $3200!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conductor Plate

The dealer replaced the conductor plate and she is still not shifting properly when she is cold. I can manually shift her and get acceptable response. I am reluctant to take her back to the dealer because they said they are not getting a code for the problem and have had to go thru everything manually. They had it for a week this last time and said that she shifted correctly the "last 12 test drives". But not for me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.