Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read all of the tranny threads. Here is what I gather from the threads. I have a SLK 320 2001. Originally MB believed that this was a sealed transmission that never needed maintenance. Now they recommend a flush somewhere between 30-45k for newer cars even though it is the same transmission. Some believe that it is good insurance to change the fluid, other believe problems develop after service. Again, This is what I gather from the threads

Is there anyone out there that has 100k+and has not had transmission service? Anyone have the service done, then had problems?
Anyone have to have their transmission rebuilt?
When did MB make the change in direction on this issue?
What is the official word from MB on these older cars?

Mine had a leak at 40k that was fixed under warranty. So new seals and additional fluid added at that time but no maintenance since. I have 130k on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Basically forget the sealed unit stuff, it was MB having a wet dream !

The actual manufacturer and designer of the transmission and the ATF manufacturer
both recommend servicing, fluid replacement at every 45,000 miles (60,000km).

Don't wait, get it done as the difference after a service is pretty awesome and
your transmission will not last without the service.
Cobra

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had mine does at around 110,000kms. Glad I did and I've had no problems since, car is now at 140,000kms.
That said, my brother has almost 200,000kms on his 98 SLK230 on the original fluid without any issues. At that mileage I would be a little more worried about the service aggravating something and causing an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 slk320 transmission

i have a 2001 slk320 with 123000 miles . the tranny works perfectly, and i want to keep it that way. ive been thinking about a service and a fluid exchange. should i? i dont want to create problems, but i want to get it serviced. has anyone done that. i need advice.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,227 Posts
MrMagoo,

If you do not have any maintenance recors then at a minimum you should do a transmission service and an oil change

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location and vehicle (model and year,ie 2007 SLK 350) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
Transmission

Ok, so in April 2013 I bought a 2001 SLK320 with 63000km on the odometer. Service records were thin and it had had 4 owners.
We changed all the fluids and filters including the tranny fluid and filter.
I understand the internal condition of the transmission.
Things were good after 13 yr so I have peace of mind.
What I don't get is why is it a question?
Be it any lubricant when in doubt change it out to paraphrase Johnnie Cochran and do it according to schedules provided thereafter.
Oil, filters and transmission fluid are like blood. Keep it fresh and working for a few bucks and it will save you thousands later.
One guy's view.
So I have read all of the tranny threads. Here is what I gather from the threads. I have a SLK 320 2001. Originally MB believed that this was a sealed transmission that never needed maintenance. Now they recommend a flush somewhere between 30-45k for newer cars even though it is the same transmission. Some believe that it is good insurance to change the fluid, other believe problems develop after service. Again, This is what I gather from the threads

Is there anyone out there that has 100k+and has not had transmission service? Anyone have the service done, then had problems?
Anyone have to have their transmission rebuilt?
When did MB make the change in direction on this issue?
What is the official word from MB on these older cars?

Mine had a leak at 40k that was fixed under warranty. So new seals and additional fluid added at that time but no maintenance since. I have 130k on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.