Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice where some flush transmission fluid, other opt to change fluid. I take it these are two different procedures. Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,245 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a search, but that did not show up (subject matter was different and mine isn't a 7-g) but the thread may will be useful.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,634 Posts
If the torque converter has a drain plug, it's effective to simply drain and refill. If there's no drain plug, a flush is more effective. Yes the procedures are totally different.

·
Banned
804 Posts
In the Mercedes WIS, if the TC has a drain plug, drain it and add that amount back in when you fill the transmission. If the TC doesn't, forget it.

You might remember that Mercedes once recommend a life time fill, and there are older cars running around with the original fluid. Mercedes changed it to 40K and 40K thereafter, but the reality is most people will only do one.

Flushing isn't a good idea, because you are forcing the fluid out often through tiny orifices which might trap some small particles. I doubt Mercedes recommends it. The main reason to even bother draining and putting in new fluid is to change the filter in the pan. The inside of a transmission is a clean environment, and assuming there aren't any operational issues, the transmission fluid should be good forever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.