Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 SLK55 w/100k miles and it has an issue. When I put it in drive or reverse, it waits a few seconds before it engages. Once it is in gear it seems fine other than downshifting pretty abruptly as I approach a stop (10mph), but I think that's common in these cars from what I've read. Has anyone had an issue like this and found a solution?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
I just bought a 2006 SLK55 w/100k miles and it has an issue. When I put it in drive or reverse, it waits a few seconds before it engages. Once it is in gear it seems fine other than downshifting pretty abruptly as I approach a stop (10mph), but I think that's common in these cars from what I've read. Has anyone had an issue like this and found a solution?
When was transmission fluid checked/changed/drained last?

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Hi and welcome, and as the Master Sarge has pointed out, please update your details!! (it helps no end...)

I'd check first to see if the car has every has the transmission fluid changed.

Is this your first auto ..? I only ask as there is a small delay between moving the shift lever and drive engaging (not much though)

The rough downshift, especially into the lower gears can be a sign of the conductor plate problem, but they can also be rough when cold, especially if you start off in S and travel a short distance before it has to downshift to 1st

·
*Premium Member
Sold my SLK
3,554 Posts
I replaced my conductor plate at 80,000 miles, but the symptoms were more that the car would not shift out of a gear after coming to a stop. Just stay in first until I turned the car off and back on and then everything was fine.

The transmission fluid is on a 40,000 mile interval, and there is a filter as well. You should also try changing the mode of the transmission to see if it changes anything. In Sport mode it will down shift to slow the car, but in Comfort mode is shouldn't and rides smoother.

As an expensive resort, you can go to a dealer and/or Merc qualified Indy and have then read the STAR codes. This will help you diagnose a conductor plate issue. If no issue then a transmission fluid and filter change ran me around $400. The conductor plate replacement was $1,200 but includes the fluid/filter change.

Best Wishes,

·
Registered 2006 SLK55
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice! I switched it from S to C and the jerky downshifting cleared up beautifully (and it's still plenty fast for me). Still has the 3-5 second delay in engaging when placed in gear, but I'll research the conductor plate now. Levels should be fine because I had a reputable mechanic do a complete tranny service on it when I swapped motors a week ago.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great advice! I switched it from S to C and the jerky downshifting cleared up beautifully (and it's still plenty fast for me). Still has the 3-5 second delay in engaging when placed in gear ....
Based on how my cars behave I would have to say that 3 to 5 second delay is indicative of a problem that needs fixing. Ignore at your own peril .... will end in tears! :crying:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.