Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just told by my shop that my transmission control module is defective they want $1500 for a replacement module I have more than enough skill to replace it but I need to know if there is any programming required or can I just swap one from the junkyard

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
First!

Since you have a 99 you have an EGS-51 TCU. it means you can find a TCU from any other 99 SLK 230 and it will work without any programming. plug and play!

I have had luck with ebay units. Shoot for one that is a little more expensive to insure it was pulled from a vehicle with no stored transmission codes.

I bought one for $20 and it had the danged limp home syndrome.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Perhaps you know of a good reputable source for used parts you can buy from.
We had a c32 AMG that a previous owner had changed the TCU and it didn't work properly on the AMG. It only cost us £150 to have it re-coded and the adaptions reset so not the end of the world and still way cheaper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after much reading I felt the shop may have been wrong about the tcm being bad. I bought my own scanner that has the 32 pin plug for checking the car out. Showed 13 transmission faults. Decided to change the conductor plate first. After replacing it all codes went away except one. It’s etc dtc18 shifter out of location or something like that.(I am at work don’t have it with me)I was checking to see if anyone has info about transmission code 18? I can’t find anything on how to fix it.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Hi,

You need to adjust the rod between Shifter and Transmission :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
WIS gives the procedure to adjust the selector rod :wink:

HTH

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Mercedes WIS / EPC = Workshop Information System / Electronic Parts Catalogue = Workshop Manuals (how to, torque figures, wiring diagrams etc) / Parts Dept Software (drawings part numbers, revisions etc)

A set of discs can be had off EBay for £10 - £20, load 'em up on your computer.

If you buy the correct diagnostic machine, (SDS), that already has all this loaded from £400 plug and play.

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Setting

1 Move selector lever to position "D".
NOTE:
Vehicle must be horizontal and standing on its wheels.
Drive vehicle onto four-post lifting platform or over pit.
2 Mount rod head (98) on intermediate lever (97) and secure with clips.
3 Move range selector lever (33) to position "D".
4 Insert shift rod (63) into rod head, attach to range selector lever (33) and secure with clips.
5 Tighten bolt (99).
NOTE:
Press against the rod head (98) to tighten.
Do not twist shift rod (63) or rod head (98).
Do not move range selector lever (33) out of position "D".
6 Check function.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Hi,

Yep, that's it...................

I do however find it best to do them in N as it is kinda "mid range", I just pop the Clip, pull the Rod, Trans lever in N, Shifter in N, adjust Rod so it is a nice easy sliding fit without moving either Trans or Shifter, lock it up, job done :wink:

If you still have the same problem after this then it is likely a damaged or bad P/N microswitch on the Conductor Plate :(
Hope you didn't buy a Chinese Conductor Plate ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after I got home last night the new to me junkyard tcm was there so I swapped it out. No more code. Took it for a short drive still no code. But didn’t have the time to take for a long drive to be sure it is fixed. So tonight after work I will take it for a longer drive and if still ok I will drive to work tomorrow. I drive 70 miles each way to work, yes that’s right 140 miles a day. So I need to be sure the car is right before I take it to work. As for the question about mounts they look good and the motor doesn’t move around too much so for now they will be left alone. But I am planning to replace them in the near future. I will also be upgrading the brakes and rotors, headlights, and thinking of adding a rear sway bar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts