Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just graduated with an MBA from UC Irvine Monday and started the move to Long Island, NY. We're taking the SLK on a cross country road trip from Orange County to NY. The trip is planned to be 3600 miles over 10 days.

The SRS Malfunction light and message came on Sunday morning, so the trip was delayed one day to replace the passenger seat belt buckle at the dealer. Hopefully all will be well this morning and the trip can continue.

A couple photos from graduation:

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,895 Posts
Congrats!!!!

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
Congrats on the MBA, Dan. Looking forward to the pix from the trip. It was great having you as such an integral part of the SoCal SLK group for all these years.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day 1-2 was in Nevada, with the usual stop in Las Vegas:

Farther north, there was a very cool vintage Union Pacific rail station in Caliente, NV:

We stopped at Lehman Caves in Great Basin National Park for a cave tour. Very cool formations inside the cave on a 2 hour tour through different 'rooms' up to 150 feet underground:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 2-3 in Utah:

The best hotel rooms for SLK trips have a view of the car from the window:

Great views driving through northeast Utah:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 3 in Wyoming:

Following the route of the Oregon Trail. Some fun driving in this area on deserted roads:

Mountains of the continental divide:

Going through South Pass, in use since 1842:

Names on Independence Rock, a landmark along the trail:

All that's left of the original Oregon Trail:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 3-4 in South Dakota:

Bison next to the road:

Antelope in the road:

Carving corners through the Black Hills:

View of Mount Rushmore from the road:

Picked up tons of insects driving the side roads, frequent cleaning was required:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Day 4-6, taking a break in Minnesota:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Congratulations on earning your MBA, the road trip looks like great fun. When I got my Engineering Degree, waaaaaay back in 1976, I took a celebratory road trip from Edmonton (University of Alberta) down to San Diego, and then back up to Calgary for my first job. But that was in a 67 Beetle, not in a nice sporty SLK roadster.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Congratulations! Great pics of America! What part of Long Island you headed? I was born and raised in Long Island City, across the river from Manhattan.

(and have some decent pizza for me when you get there!)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations Dan !!!

Looks like a great and fun road trip.
One can tell a SLKWorld member by the characteristic asymmetry on how the vehicle is parked.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Congratulations on the MBA Dan. Looks like a great road trip. Be safe and have loads of fun!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations! Great pics of America! What part of Long Island you headed? I was born and raised in Long Island City, across the river from Manhattan.

(and have some decent pizza for me when you get there!)
We are temporarily with the in-laws in Oyster Bay while we house hunt. We will probably end up somewhere on the North Shore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts