Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am receiving two faults which came on after a little water ingress - "The ignition circuit with component R12/3 (Front passenger airbag ignition squib) has Short circuit to ground". and the same for R12/8 for the driver airbag - does anyone have any advice. The seat can be removed and replaced with emulators with the same error. Has anyone else had the short to ground error before and how did you fix it please?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,526 Posts
Not for me, but for our experts...Where was the water ingress?
It may help them be more accurate with advice.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
976 Posts
Hope it isn't the SRS gremlin that afflicts SLKs. Had one on my R171 55 AMG which 2 different MB dealerships could never find the source nor provide a fix, so I just lived with it. Good luck finding source and a fix for yours....

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,606 Posts
Some airbag connectors have "shorting bars" that can give this code - if the bags have been disconnected perhaps they weren't reconnected fully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some airbag connectors have "shorting bars" that can give this code - if the bags have been disconnected perhaps they weren't reconnected fully.
Thanks. Do you know of a diagram? For the Landover I have the rave but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for mercedes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both airbags test and we're fine. Looking at the diagram it seems 8 and 3 are shorting which may be passenger seat belt tensioner switch?

·
4,606 Posts
Is your car pre- or post-facelift? The wiring is different for each. If post-facelift, there is a connector X28/12 in the passenger footwell where both air bag circuits cross.

Also - have your airbags deployed at some point in the past? Or is this a used airbag module? I've heard rumors that the module can be damaged when the bags deploy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. It's a facelift and the water came in just above where you're talking about... I take if you mean behind the white kick-pannel under the carpet? I'll take that off later, make sure it's properly dry, clean it out and rebuild it.

·
4,606 Posts
Yes, if you pull down the carpet, remove the white foam, and remove the three plastic nuts, you can lay the steel bridge down on the floorboard and see this connector. I believe it should be orange or yellow. Please post some photos of it, and if it has any special release mechanism check that it is fully in seated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will do as soon as the weather calms down a bit. I put a cover on it recently because the weather has been so bad water is getting in the cars, plugged drains or not!

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,758 Posts
I put a cover on it recently because the weather has been so bad water is getting in the cars
Be very aware that Covers are not a good idea, have a read of this, I have personally seen this a lot and would never use one ...............

HTH,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts