Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got an aftermarket TPMS they've installed and like? Where did you put the display?

After getting a screw in my brand new tire and letting it get flat before noticing, I thought it might be a good idea. Fortunately, road hazard warranty covered my Michelin PSS'es. But not before garage said sidewall got damage and might be dangerous. And since it's not a common tire size it takes about 3 to 5 business days to get a new one in.

Oh, and it might be worth mentioning, just because, that Costco has a great price on PSS'es.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
I looked at aftermarket, and ended up retrofitting the OEM system (a slightly involved process due to it not actualy being supported on my year of car, but there's plenty about it on my TPMS retrofit thread .

There are a few systems - check ebay - that can use a video input on your headunit for display (if you already have the capability) or use the small seperate screen, or even your phone ... the Orange Electronic ones seem to be fairly highly regarded.

I've seen pics of the display either side of the steering wheel, just under the ashtray/cubby hole, on top of the dash and fixed to the a pillar, none of which did it for me, but everyone is different...

Orange Electronic Co., Ltd. - TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The best option for early model year cars is to enable the "dumb" rotational tire pressure monitoring using STAR/DAS.

Not as accurate but it does provide the ever so valuable "Hey, your tires are low" warning once it has some time to calculate the pressures. The margin of error is tolerable but it is definitely not as good as a properly retrofitted system but given the cost of doing the retrofit I am not sure if the extra accuracy is worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at aftermarket, and ended up retrofitting the OEM system (a slightly involved process due to it not actualy being supported on my year of car, but there's plenty about it on my TPMS retrofit thread .

There are a few systems - check ebay - that can use a video input on your headunit for display (if you already have the capability) or use the small seperate screen, or even your phone ... the Orange Electronic ones seem to be fairly highly regarded.

I've seen pics of the display either side of the steering wheel, just under the ashtray/cubby hole, on top of the dash and fixed to the a pillar, none of which did it for me, but everyone is different...

Orange Electronic Co., Ltd. - TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
I read your whole thread for your OEM retrofit which only made me 1) appreciate your superhuman tenacity, and 2) think aftermarket retrofit.

I checked into the Orange ones, and I saw some poor reviews on Amazon regarding customer service (good reviews technically, though) and no US presence anymore (I don't know if this is still the case). I'm still considering since I like their interfaces most, so far. The other ones that I'm seeing advertised here (in US) have bulky boxes...not so UX/UI friendly.

·
Banned
804 Posts
I never buy the road hazard warranty, and I don't bother with the TPM System. Drivers are becoming too dependent upon these systems to keep them safe refusing to use their eyeballs to alert themselves to potential dangers. In fact, I think drivers like this nonsense, because it allows them to spend more time on their phones. Nearly every car I observe on the road has the nut behind the wheel yakking away on their phone.

What I do is a cursory check of the tires at least once a week and at the same time check the tire pressure. Also I don't own a cell phone. My eyes are always front and forward aware of what's around me. Any intelligent person who saw the size of our junkyard of wrecked cars would too.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I never buy the road hazard warranty, and I don't bother with the TPM System. Drivers are becoming too dependent upon these systems to keep them safe refusing to use their eyeballs to alert themselves to potential dangers. In fact, I think drivers like this nonsense, because it allows them to spend more time on their phones. Nearly every car I observe on the road has the nut behind the wheel yakking away on their phone.

What I do is a cursory check of the tires at least once a week and at the same time check the tire pressure. Also I don't own a cell phone. My eyes are always front and forward aware of what's around me. Any intelligent person who saw the size of our junkyard of wrecked cars would too.
Ahhh, a man after my own heart! I don't use a mobile phone either, though the wife has one. I too eyeball our cars regularly and check tire pressures regularly. My hobby compressor does just fine in topping them up when needed, which really isn't very often. If people want to use their phones in transit, take mass transit. Cars are meant to be driven, and the roads belong to drivers...not mere occupants.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh, a man after my own heart! I don't use a mobile phone either, though the wife has one. I too eyeball our cars regularly and check tire pressures regularly. My hobby compressor does just fine in topping them up when needed, which really isn't very often. If people want to use their phones in transit, take mass transit. Cars are meant to be driven, and the roads belong to drivers...not mere occupants.

I didn't buy the road hazard; it just came with the tires. Since it was a 1.5" self-tapping machine screw that I picked up in a parking lot (I believe), I would imagine that my eyes were more focused on not getting hit by other cars. After parking the car and coming out of the store to find my tire flat, there wasn't much of a cursory inspection needed. However, since the tire deflated quickly, there was a bit of damage to the sidewall...enough to warrant replacing the whole tire (thank goodness I had that road hazard; tire was replaced at no additional cost to me). It got me thinking that for a few bucks, I could get a TPMS that would alert me to low pressure so that I can avoid the slight possibility (but still a possibility) of a chance of a sidewall blowout at 70-80 mph on the highway. I think the minimum upfront amount is worth the potential for a sizable cost in the future. And since I'm a data person, TPMS gives you a real time metric the duration of your drive rather than an initial reading at the beginning.
And I believe that safety/insurance is what you're advocating with regards to phone usage. I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I purchased a KIPOINT aftermarket system for ~100 US a few years back and installed the display in the lower panel just in front of the ashtray/coin compartment. The battery in the sensors which are installed in the wheels are supposed to last >5 years. Must say love the unit works well

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased a KIPOINT aftermarket system for ~100 US a few years back and installed the display in the lower panel just in front of the ashtray/coin compartment. The battery in the sensors which are installed in the wheels are supposed to last >5 years. Must say love the unit works well
Thanks! I'll look into that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.