what issue are you having if i may ask?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,264 Posts
see this...some replies are for r172 n u have a r171

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,211 Posts
Apparently, it was mandated in 2007 that all new cars had to have tpms ( bought my 55 used and it does not have them..maybe not replaced by previous owner due to cost? I dunno). I've never bothered to check "internally" for messaging system FWIW.

Maybe (if you got yours used), the PO didn't bother with them when the tires were replaced either??

ANYWAYS, I came across this article from 2014 in regards to sensors and replacements. It might benefit you to have a look and maybe, just maybe........

Reactions: Steven Braun

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,448 Posts
Not the numeric pressures but the idiot light version. the flat tire icon.
If you have the cheap version of TPMS, the one that does not show the actual tire pressure, that version uses the ABS sensors. They measure the rotation speed of each wheel. If you a flat tire that wheel will spin faster because its circumference is smaller. A reset for this system just means that you tell the system that the tire pressures are now okay and that it should take the current rotation speed of the wheels as a reference.
If your dealer wants to charge $450 for this he is not a dealer but a con artist and you should never go there again. You can perform the reset easily yourself. Just see the manual.
Mind you I am talking about the cheap version here,not the one that shows the actual pressures.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
744 Posts
I agree with Sneaky Pete, but after checking it looks like the 2009 in US has TPMS with pressure sensing sensors, ie a more complicated system. If so is the case, the cost of USD 450.- could be OK (but on the high end, I would say). That is if they need to replace all sensors with new ones. To do that they need to take all wheels off and then tires off the rims to get access to the sensors (located valve body inside the rim). Then they also need to activate them with the correct coding.

I had this issue with my 2019 C-class and winter tires. The dealer forgot to install sensors and I had an "idiot light" on the dash the whole time. Of course I didn't have to pay for the retrofit.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,448 Posts
Steven might be right. EU legislation also states that a flat tire warning system is mandatory but accepts the cheap version. US legislation might be different and only accepts the more complicated version. Don't know. In which case $450 could be right and I have said nothing about the dealer.......

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,264 Posts
Steven said:

after checking it looks like the 2009 in US has TPMS with pressure sensing sensors, ie a more complicated system.

my facelifted 09 55:
no numbered pressure, just that tires, and not a specific tire, needs attention

1 - 12 of 12 Posts