Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMS pic

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LeonardoDaBenz 
#1 ·
My build sheet says I've got TPMS but I'm not sure as there were replacement tires on Schwarzie when I got her. Looks like plain metal caps. Any pics of what it's supposed to look like is quite different from what I thought they should be. OR does it just look like a regular stem (on the outside)?

Someone take of pic of their tire/valve stem so I can see what it should look like?

Assuming that mine weren't replaced, would these make a suitable replacement?

4PCs Car Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Valve Dust Cap Indicator Sensor Eye Alert | eBay

I don't want to spend $3-4-500 (from what I've found for OEM) for these things.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here ya go!!

Attachments

#3 ·
I thought that the tpms is a sensor at the wheel hub that records differences in tyre rotation. Or at least this is what they told me when I changed tyres and noticed that there was no difference between my wheels and some others.
But this may apply to R171 pre facelift models.

Tapatalking

#4 ·
yes, 2 kinds. the one you described and the one I posted :D

#6 ·
The rotational TPMS uses the ABS sensors in the wheels and detects differences in the speed of wheel rotation ...

It can be enabled via software on all R171's

The 'smart' TPMS uses sensors in the wheels and another ECU in the back of the car, plus need an instrument cluster with a certain software version to work, but it can all be retrofitted ....

Then you get the actual tyre pressuses in your upper display - this one has the valve stems like Jeffs ...

Attachments

#7 ·
Mine are not like Jeff's pic. Plain metal caps on mine so I'm assuming it's a "non TPMS" setup. I'll check with the dlr next time I visit.

So Sean, seeing as I don't have the AMG caps, would I still get to see that display (albeit with no info)?

#8 ·
It's not the caps that determine the TPMS, but the valve stems - look at JB's pics and you'll see a nut holding the stems in place, instead of the straight valve stem.

You can get the pic up on the upper MFD, but you'll also get the associated errors too, every time you start the car, as the TPMS system isn't there / functioning.

DAS needed with developer mode to enable the meun on a 171, not sure on the 172 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.