Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone moved the TPMS to a set of aftermarket wheels or bought a new set?

Talked to my MB dealer and he said there is a high probability the monitors will get damaged during removal.

He also said he could sell me a new set at around $300 a corner.

BOHCSM?

Currently I do not have TPMS on my aftermarkets. What have others done?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
BS - Adam and I have swapped TPMS sensors between wheels at least twice each. Your installer needs to be aware you have in-wheel sensors, and take care, but that's nothing special.

You can also pick up the Schraeder AirAware sensors for much better than $300 each.

·
Banned
87 Posts
The TPMS are a nice feature to keep you up-to-date on tire pressure. However, it seems the early models had some failures and were expensive to replace.

A friend of mine simply removed them when he got his new set of tires rather than spend the money for replacements. I remember him saying they cost more than the tires! Anyway, their absence didn't cause any problems for his computer readout.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
The TPMS are a nice feature to keep you up-to-date on tire pressure. However, it seems the early models had some failures and were expensive to replace.

A friend of mine simply removed them when he got his new set of tires rather than spend the money for replacements. I remember him saying they cost more than the tires! Anyway, their absence didn't cause any problems for his computer readout.

The R171, if fitted with mid or high line TMPS, will throw a wobbly if you don't have sensors on the wheels. You can code around this if you like and simply disable the system completely. Personally, I like having them, it's nice to be able to "see" that your air pressure is where it needs to be....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Has anyone moved the TPMS to a set of aftermarket wheels or bought a new set?

Talked to my MB dealer and he said there is a high probability the monitors will get damaged during removal.

He also said he could sell me a new set at around $300 a corner.

BOHCSM?

Currently I do not have TPMS on my aftermarkets. What have others done?

I bought mine 19" wheel from The Tire rack and the sensors is about $60 ea. The sensor works perfectly without having to to the reset thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the useful information.

I'm hearing any third party compatible TPMS sensor will work.

I have some new rubber coming in from tire rack. I will pick up a set from them.

Klinh Which sensor from TR did you get? Is there programming that is needed to be done for sensors?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little research shows that '08 and on (2012 right now) use 433 MHz transmitters.

The other popular MB frequency is 315 MHz.

This may be of use to someone down the road.:tu:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad I did this search. I'm also in the process of looking for replacement wheels for my 172, and I thought that I would just pick up a set of sensors and leave the originals in the wheels I have so when I traded/sold the car just put the originals back on. When the dealer quoted me $180 I thought he meant for the set...then he repeated EACH! Since I recently saw GM and Ford sensors for about $45 each, that $180 fist sounded over priced, but when it finally sunk in EACH my head spun.

Good to know that swapping them over is a viable option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts