Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 SLK 350 option 475, 3 or 4 times now the TPMS has tried its best to mess up a nice day. Leaving for a fun weekend, 30 min down the road, ie not near any place we knew, dash warning lights up and we start looking for a place to check the pressure. To be fair, tire pressure that time may have been low. Recently though with tires a few months old and pressures at least close twice first thing early on a cold morning we get the tire warning, but it goes away with a restart.

Is this normal, 7 to 8 years old and the TPMS system or sensors start to fail, need new batteries or?

Sounds like its easy to test, tire shop can measure the signal?

Sounds like a moderate pain, cost, to replace them. OEM part is Schrader 28214 , MB part is 000 905 72 00, something to beware is battery goes in when these are made and lasts 7 to 10 years, old parts even if new in the box could be a very poor value. MB I think has one level of superseded part, Schrader has had several so its latest might be best choice.

Date codes are NOT clear to me. MB has printed on it something like D13255, which I take as 2013 day 255, could be all wrong. Molded parts commonly have a clock molded in, but I doubt this is the date of assembly, just the date the case was molded. Still I have no certainty about what is the correct date code, but many I see cheap on ebay have D13255 or similar which would put little life left in the battery, and given the labor to install not a good option.

Which brings me to a chat I plan with my tire dealer about why didn't they check the TPMS sensors when I put on new tires a few months ago.

More when I know more.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,875 Posts
yes tire shops can test batteries with a device
my tpms over 11 years old now, knock on wood
if you recently got new tires or drastically changed the tire pressure, as Myk says, reset the tpms in Comand

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wife stopped at the tire place we use this morning. They have a tester, entered the model and year etc., all 4 tested good. Tire guy said replacing all 4 is about $350 USD, but didn't say which brand etc. I watched a youtube that showed a not too hard looking DIY replacement, break down just one side of tire, then stand on it while swapping out the sensor, but that doesn't get it programmed, so not sure.

At this point its back to keeping a small battery powered inflator in the trunk (boot) and checking if the warning pops up.

We have done the comand reset before, need to do it again. The tire shop may have done a recalibration and reset, but I don't recall if they just offered or I accepted (couple months ago visit prior to new tires on front).

From my research last night the option 475 TPMS covers model year 2006 or 2008 til 2016. but that could be Schrader compatibility, not the MB part, searching via VIN best way to check.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,875 Posts
Wife stopped at the tire place we use this morning. They have a tester, entered the model and year etc., all 4 tested good. Tire guy said replacing all 4 is about $350 USD, but didn't say which brand etc. I watched a youtube that showed a not too hard looking DIY replacement, break down just one side of tire, then stand on it while swapping out the sensor, but that doesn't get it programmed, so not sure.

At this point its back to keeping a small battery powered inflator in the trunk (boot) and checking if the warning pops up.

We have done the comand reset before, need to do it again. The tire shop may have done a recalibration and reset, but I don't recall if they just offered or I accepted (couple months ago visit prior to new tires on front).

From my research last night the option 475 TPMS covers model year 2006 or 2008 til 2016. but that could be Schrader compatibility, not the MB part, searching via VIN best way to check.

do not rule out that you have a bad valve in the tire

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do not rule out that you have a bad valve in the tire
Fortunately the core is easy to replace, but I haven't tried a bubble test ... yet. Between temperature swings and replacing the two front tires one of which had nasty inside wear, and the small change to trigger the TPMS, I've both suspected and doubted there are any leaks. Bubble test is next step.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Last night, I suddenly got a warning on the HU about my left-side TPMS "missing" and not registering, so only three readings showing. I stopped to check and saw that the valve was protruding outwards far more than usual. Tried pushing it back in without any luck. Continued driving and after hitting a road bump, suddenly the valve had popped back in and the TPMS error was gone. Plan to get it to my tire shop Monday... maybe the tire shop screwed something up when they fitted my new tires a couple days ago.

These TPMS can be a bugger sometime...

·
Super Moderator
24,258 Posts
When I first found we had tpms I was made up.

But... I think it tempts me into laziness checking tyres myself.
Fortunately, I play with pressures anyway for different drives/weather.
The other discovery was it very much depends on the system fitted.
Mine was not the individual pressure type, but loss of pressure.
However, if the loss is slow, it does not activate.

Makes me wonder how many 'green' cars are using this system and four extra batteries though.

Hope yours is an easy resolve.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
The next problem with TPMS sensors is the seal between the body of the valve and the rim. They are notorious for leaking, so the TPMS becomes the source of the air leak!

I have one that takes about 10 days to trigger the TPMS if i forget to check pressures. Time to replace it I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts