Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through a couple of thread about where to get touch up paint from. I just have small scratches here and there mostly some jerk drivers opening their door to hard and slamming into my door. I saw some place had top coat and base coat. There are some spot that has rust and I would like to clean that up before I apply the touch up paint. I have no idea what I actually need to get the job done. Your advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I have an '06 R171 SLK 280. I went to the dealer and ordered a touch up paint pen (actually a small bottle with a brush) with my specific Color (950) as well as one with Clear Coat for $18. Well worth the $ IMHO.

For the 171's the Color code is on the Datacard as well as on the inside of driver's door frame.

Gene

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,463 Posts
dealer is a great place to start despite the price.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've just ordered one of the DrColorchip kits after seeing the results on a friends BMW here in Houston. I'll hopefully have time over the next week or so to try it out on the '350 where I've got 40k miles worth of rock chips from the wonderful La/Tx roads.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
373 Posts
I've just ordered one of the DrColorchip kits after seeing the results on a friends BMW here in Houston. I'll hopefully have time over the next week or so to try it out on the '350 where I've got 40k miles worth of rock chips from the wonderful La/Tx roads.
I was just thinking about trying that! The ad claim is impressive. Please let us know how well it works

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I have used factory touch up and Dr Color Chip.......the Dr Color Chip is by far the best. I allows much more control and is almost imperceptible after application. Plus, if you flub up it can be easily removed and then you just try again. I'll never use factory touch up paint again.

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
38 Posts
Rust stop

For the rust, if it's just surface rust, I have used a rust stop product I got from my local Napa auto parts store. I don't remember the actual name, but it comes in a small plastic bottle with a built in brush. You remove the surface rust flakes using a wire brush, or sand paper, then "paint" this stuff one. It cures pretty quickly, turning black and prevents the rust from returning. It claims it is safe to paint over it.

If there are surface pock-marks from the rust, you may want to apply some of that red finishing putty prior to priming and painting. Again, that comes in an over-sized tooth paste tube from Napa. You'll want one of there plastic putty knife kits and some 320 and 500 grit wet paper.

I've never painted over the rust stop, I've just used it to stop rust from spreading on the rear tailgate of my 1999 F-250.

I've used the red putty, spreaders and wet sand paper to fill in cracks in the fiberglass on my previous toy - a kit car that looked like a 1929 Bugatti T-35B, based on a 66 VW bug.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dcolorchip is awesome! Simple to use and the results were very good. Did mine yesterday...Used navel jelly to remove the little rust specs in the chips, washed the car, and applied the paint. Piece of cake:bannana:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Just ordered Dr Colorchip for the new baby. I am hoping all the rock chips in the front quarter panels on my Jeep will benefit from this too. I can't wait to see how it works!!

Loving the older threads...

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I ordered 2 of the Dr Color Chip sets. One for the new girl and one for my Jeep. I thought it best to experiment with the road rash on the Jeep before I touch the slk.

Things I learned
1. let it sit for 10 minutes to dry if its a deep nick
2. buffing the final solution like you were buffing the car takes everything else off the area - dont just buff once or twice then leave it, you'll see the residual paint outside of the nick, that can be taken off too
3. it works on long scrapes too

Gorgeous result! couldn't be happier. Ladies, its like getting your nails done, but in a much shorter amount of time. Smear it on, wipe off the excess, buff, done.

Before

After

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.