Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,
Going to have a ride out with the wife this afternoon so got in the car started the engine she got in closed the door, everything died. The same fault that I had way back in July and similar to the various intermittent faults I have had since.
So I did my usuall "fix all" and disconnected the battery waited a couple of minutes reattached the negative, nothing. Disconnected again and waited a couple of minutes reconnected still nothing, while I was connecting the negative pole on previous occasions there would be a couple of sparks but now there were very few and small so out with the multi-meter , checked the battery, fine then I remembered the 3 main fuses on the positive lead wondered if the main supply fuse had blown so opened the fusebox lid to check the fuses.
The fuses checked out fine but I did find the nuts on the 200 amp fuse had backed off a couple of turns and had allowed the fuse to move in the holder causing sparking and arcing which had burnt the surface of the fuse black where it sits in the holder, removed the fuse and removed the crud with 800 grade W&D before refitting the fuse.
Reconnected the negative terminal pressed open on fob, heard the door mechanism work and tried the key in the ignition all ligts on and engine started.
I hope that this is the end of my intermittant electrical faults and with a bit of luck may help some other sufferers.
Regards Stuart

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
Stuart, maybe not in this case, forgive me, but when disconnecting the battery, it should be for a minimum of 30 minutes to let all systems 'die' from 'sleep' mode. Not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once :D

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart, maybe not in this case, forgive me, but when disconnecting the battery, it should be for a minimum of 30 minutes to let all systems 'die' from 'sleep' mode. Not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once :D
I'm not as patient as you Jeff and it was only 2C outside today.

Stuart.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
Not really a matter of patience my friend. as mentioned, when you wait, those systems, 'die' with no juice and then are properly 'reset' :D on the r171, after shutting engine, you can wait, and hear things 'go to sleep'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.