Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the torque values for the rear calliper's halves? When they are being put together? I recently rebuilt and powder coated all four callipers with new seals, boots... Fronts are just one piece design but rear ones are held together by 4 bolts. Couldn't find any values out on the Internet so hope someone can chime in here :) .

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Disassembly of the caliper in that manner does not seem to be part of any official procedure, I can't seem too find any torque spec.
What thread bolt is it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disassembly of the caliper in that manner does not seem to be part of any official procedure, I can't seem too find any torque spec.
What thread bolt is it?

Yes, I would assume caliper would simply be replaced at that point :)

At the top of the bolt it says “versus. 11.9” the pitch seem to be 1.0 metric.

Thank you for all the insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, "11.9" relates to the grade of material (steel). we need the diameter of the bolt to give you an accurate torque value. The pitch of 1.00 mm looks like M10 x 1 (metric). Try and screw it into a nut of a known size.

·
Registered
727 Posts
For M12 115NM,
This is a steel to steel generic spec for reusable bolts, there is risk that this is not the case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Until we know what the diameter is we cannot give the torque value. the bolts could be 0.375(3/8") UNF thread but being european I doubt it.

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, "11.9" relates to the grade of material (steel). we need the diameter of the bolt to give you an accurate torque value. The pitch of 1.00 mm looks like M10 x 1 (metric). Try and screw it into a nut of a known size.
The diameter of the bolt is 6.3 mm around the neck and 6.7mm where threads are. I'll stop by the hardware store and see if I can match a nut of the known size :grin: Sorry for my non-technical lingo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they 'one time use' torque bolts perchance? They certainly have a high tensile value [11.9]
Most [all?] manufacturers seem to advise against splitting calipers.
Yup, that's why I couldn't find ANY of the specs or procedure online or at the dealership :crying:
I did see quite a few rebuilding videos for Corvette calipers (they are two-piece as well) but they never mention any of the specs!!!

·
Registered 2009 SLK200 2Look
296 Posts
Good grief - just bolt them together with some loctite if you have to! There is no torque setting as they are not in under any load!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Good grief - just bolt them together with some loctite if you have to! There is no torque setting as they are not in under any load!
The torque setting is to ensure they do not become loose due to thermal expansion and vibration. The temperature in the caliper will likely exceed the operational limit for loctite threadlock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you sure it reads 11.9? It's hard to see from the image. Generally engineering bolts are either 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will take a look again but I am pretty sure it was 11.9 . Bolts are not large themselves - 20nm is about 14.75 ft lbs which isn it much

Thank you for looking up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yup. 11.9

it actually says “verbus” not versus as I originally thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts