Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my apologies for those SLK owners that have had to put their babies to bed for the winter - you may not want to read this.

My OEM windscreen arrived this past Monday. Naturally, I had to rush out to the car and put it on (a 2 minute max procedure). Living in North Carolina near the Virginia border, this time of the year is typically not top down friendly. Luckily, we have had 3 days where the temps have gotten into the upper 60s since the install. Today, the wife and I put the windscreen to a test with an hour drive to Raleigh. The OEM screen looks and works great. Amazingly, there is no noticeable difference in the wind whether you are driving at 35mph or 75mph. Very satisfied with the selection.

Did I mention that tomorrow calls for upper 60s again? Time for another road trip!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,198 Posts
Glad you like it. I also have the oem. now get some tinted or clear side markers!!

Black is beautiful btw.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you like it. I also have the oem. now get some tinted or clear side markers!!

Black is beautiful btw.
Jeff, The clear side markers went on three weekends ago along with the Phillips H7s in the low beams. Love the side markers, but the Phillips didn't satisfy my need for light. I am now looking at HID conversion kits and/or new aftermarket headlights. Thinking Spyder. Any experience with Spyders?

In order to have the 350 ready for the spring, I am trying to do a project a weekend. So far this year, I have installed a mObridge iPod adapter in place of the CDC. Thorough off-the-car cleaning and wheel wax for the rims (helps a little???). In process of painting the calipers - red. Also on the agenda is custom LEDs. And yes you were my inspiration for the LEDs.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you're not talking about the fish net windscreen. Just my opinion, I wouldn't put those on my car even for free.:)
Klinh - I am talking about the plexiglass OEM windscreen. We had the mesh and even though it worked OK, I would never had said it looked great. The biggest problem with the mesh other than the looks is it needs to be remove for night driving, where the plexiglass doesn't.

·
97,198 Posts
Darugs, then you need some new pics for your sig and avatar showing your improvements!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please post a DIY on your caliper project...fotos...paint used etc... tyvm
Funny thing...I was getting ready to paint the other calipers today when the wife decided that she really didn't like the red (I had painted one caliper last weekend) and now she wanted silver. Something about the red being too noticeable. I have read many threads about what is the best caliper color. Turns out my discussion was much shorter than any of the threads...Silver it is!

I will take pictures and post - next weekend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I need to order a plexi windscreen, but I've spent the past two days topless in central Indiana..freak weather for this time of year. It was mid-50's yesterday and is supposed to be low 60's today!

·
97,198 Posts

·
97,198 Posts
There are some links for ebay locations that are cheaper but I always buy from the slkstore.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are some links for ebay locations that are cheaper but I always buy from the slkstore.

We should support our's sponsors but I just can't buy stuffs from them knowing that I can save $$$$ from other stores. The oem plexi windscreen is an example, Slkstore retail for $624 and I just got mine for $430 shipped.

·
97,198 Posts
That is why i mentioned that other links possible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On a good clear night I have to drop the top as long as it's above 50 or so. Just run the heater wide open, wish I had airscarf and heated seats but I don't let that stop me..... :bannana:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I've had the top down six days out of the last seven here in Tennessee. Granted that it's been sunny, and I have heated seats, airscarf, & the OEM Windscreen.

What Darugs said about the windscreen is true. With the side windows up it's amazing how little turbulence there is in the cabin.

When the sun's out down to 40 F is just fine. Granted 50 is nicer, and 60 is even better !

Man I Love This Car ! :rb

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
how many go topless even when its cold? or throughout the year apart from when its raining?
If it's in the 30's, I'll put the top down IF the Sun is shining. Even though the Operators Manual says anything above +5*, I prefer having the Sun "heat-up" the car(the top's rubber seals and hydraulic fluid).

I had the top down Monday and today(Tuesday) :rb Wednesday, Thursday & Friday are definite probabilities.

Oh yah; NO windows up either :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Oh yah; NO windows up either :)
:hail: You Win !

I didn't like it either, makes me feel a little sissy, but with the windscreen I do like warm air when it's cold !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.