Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 99 SLK230. Top was working ok. Have a leaking cylinder inside near top. Fluid was below the low fill line in the pump. Started getting the red flashing light for the top.

Got the fluid and O ring repair kit. Spent 30 minutes of PURE JOY and HAPPINESS filling the pump level.

Closed it up, put the key in, tried to drop the top - NOTHING.

Got the same flashing red light. Heard buzzing noises from the trunk - so the motor and pump were trying to do something. Top didn't move. I was playing with the switch a little, got the main windows to drop. That was it.

The more I work on this car - the more it gets messed up.

Won't even begin with the spark plug replacement, fighting with the rubber coil boots....and now I have a engine that runs on 3 cylinders with error codes for misfires on cylinder 2 and 4....(the coil pack plugs).

ordered new coils and plug wires from ebay - they are on the way.

I'm beginning to wonder: whats' next.

it's not that I don't have experience - been working on my cars since 1970. Rebuilt 2 1972 Corvettes frame off, working on a pair of 1972 Road Runners...took the 440 apart with hand tools and no engine hoist.

this mercedes is a NIGHTMARE.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,227 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,716 Posts
I'll ask the obvious (don't take offense, happens to many of us)
You've been working in the boot/trunk?

i. You did pull the 'blind' closed?
it operates a switch and no roof is not in place.

ii. Check the steel cables running alongside the inner rear wing hasn't caught.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,227 Posts
Also, when you start the roof in one direction, you have to let it finish the cycle in that direction
you cannot just push the button and say, ok, go in the opposite way, until it finishes going in one way

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
Have a 99 SLK230. Top was working ok. Have a leaking cylinder inside near top. Fluid was below the low fill line in the pump. ......>

this mercedes is a NIGHTMARE.[/QUOT

If oil that low do you need to bleed system after adding oil ?

Hope thing improve for you

Cheers from down under

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
282 Posts
I have a thing with mine (R171), if I have not used the roof for a while it can refuse to open. If I thump the roof near the screen a couple of times, all is well. Generally only happens the once . It doesn't sound the same as your problem, but while we are on the subject.
Regards

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking more along the lines of one of those many micro-switches not working properly. Wife's car had that problem. CLK350.

Roof did not want to drop back until I took that canvas cloth cover and pull back tight and tie it down with a plastic tie wrap to make that switch work. Roof worked after that.

Turned out to be a 10 cent tie wrap fix. (wish all the fixes and repairs on these cars were that cheap and easy)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to try that as well next time.

Something is making that switch that operates the top flash and blink red. It's not a low hydraulic fluid anymore.

Just cannot figure out why the top diesn't work, but I can get the door windows to slide down...then it quits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can feel your frustration, I have been there myself often. But after you battle through and get the thing working again all frustrations fade away, hang in there you will enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.