Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I try to go with real world experience where I can. Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not. I've always been irritated with fuel prices that are manipulated from OPEC on down to the local extortionist so I try to find the best bargain within reason. I haven't had a single fuel related issue with any of my vehicles. Where you would see the most issues is with higher compression engines that don't have variable timing etc. New computer controlled vehicles can mask/eliminate piston rattle/detonation and for good reason. You might ask what vehicles I've run the cheaper gas through routinely. To start off with, a relatively high compression big block Chevy in my 69 Camaro with as basic an ignition system as you can run. A Porsche Boxster. A BMW 335xi. Expedition w/ twin turbo direct injected ecoboost. And what would tell you the quickest it didn't like the gas, my Hayabusa. I'm not saying I ran regular vs super where called for, but going down the street for .10/gallon cheaper gas has always worked out well for me. Just my .02 worth...

·
Super Moderator
11,595 Posts
It may not impact ping etc as the electronics will adjust. I think where the difference may arise is in tailpipe carbon because of the different quality/quantity of detergent, whatever "cleaners" additives they have.

I've experienced an unexplained CEL that at this point I can only attribute to 18 mo worth of hi-test non-top-tier fuel. I may experience MAF issues but I am going back to top tier this summer and ongoing.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
@LeonardoDaBenz
Scan your car and see what code is inside. I prefer to deal with the issue rather than hoping that the light is not coming back.
If really don't think that is the fuel the ecu car is set to base octane. If you change that to 93 ron then you might have a knocking with low octane fuel.

·
Super Moderator
11,595 Posts
@i860, it will get done when I eventually get on the road again and in for her yearly checkup.

It snowed again this morning (and it was +6C today too while it was blowing around) >:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
@i860, it will get done when I eventually get on the road again and in for her yearly checkup.

It snowed again this morning (and it was +6C today too while it was blowing around) >:D
Please watch your language. :wink: That's why I moved south. I got sick of the cold and snow... I'll be putting the top down as I leave the parking garage today. >:D

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts

Please watch your language. :wink: That's why I moved south. I got sick of the cold and snow... I'll be putting the top down as I leave the parking garage today. >:D
I just wanted to help, i am sick of excuses, look at the picture, this was what i had to deal this winter.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts