Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see a lot of people are having problems with the top going down. so my problem is when I hold on the switch to engage the top to go down it stops half way. which then I have to release the switch and hold the switch again to make the top go down. So. sometimes it stops half way and doesn't want to go down. which then the top doesn't want to go back up and stays half way. I have to take out the key to release the pump for it to go back towards the windshield to close the top. also if I don't mess with the top for a couple of days it well go all the way down and close and come back up and completely close. but when I try to put the top back down it gets stuck half way and doesn't want to go down or go back up. Please help I haven't seen anyone with this problem. I hope it all makes sense.. I have replaced the relay to the top hydrolytic pump. Am afraid its the pump that is going out for the top.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts

·
96,480 Posts
Members will chime in I am sure :D
and how old is the battery?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jbanks! I believe the battery is pretty new. but let me go out and check real quick..
Looks like the battery is from December of 2009.... haha.... and the fluid for the pump looks good. its not below the mark or above the mark.

·
96,480 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
96,480 Posts
get the battery tested first. don't want to get a new battery if it tests great/excellent.
SLK loves a great battery, not a good one :D

grease what has to be greased, not what you think needs it :D

http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

·
96,480 Posts
relies? replies? oh! relays? sensor or switches? :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,965 Posts
Describe what you mean by "half way"? Or exactly what state is it in when it stops working?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Describe what you mean by "half way"? Or exactly what state is it in when it stops working?
Hello Efair, thanks for the post, when holding the switch up to put the top down, it stops where its about to fold and just stays there. then I release the switch and which then I pull up on the switch again and the tops starts to fold into the trunk or just stays at that position where its about fold in.

below is the best picture I could find online what it looks like. to afraid to mess with mine till I take the trunk apart and replace relays.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
It looks like it would be the relay on the roof pump , but you said you replaced it , no ?
Did you use a new one from Mercedes ?
Hace you greased all the moving parts/joints ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like it would be the relay on the roof pump , but you said you replaced it , no ?
Did you use a new one from Mercedes ?
Hace you greased all the moving parts/joints ?

The only relay I replaced was next to the hydraulic pump in the trunk.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
That's the one , the roof pump on the right in the trunk !

Did you replace it with a new one from Mercedes ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.