Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 07 SLK350, 6K miles on it. Took our first trip the other day, passed a few slow drivers, found an open strech an quickly hit 145mph before getting on the bumper of more traffic. I have the 7 speed auto tranny, love it. Can anyone tell me about what this thing will top out at? I don't want to chance hurting my motor but I would like to know. :burnout:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
155 is the electronic limit on the '350. I think theoretical was somewhere around 162.

Some of the '55's had the limiter removed, but not sure if that's the case on the '350's. I've had my 350 up to 140 on the track, but ran out of room.

Where the heck did you find enough highway (and in good enough condition?!) in Louisiana to hit 145?! :p

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
The parish called Texas R)
:rb

That's the smallish bit at the end of I-10, right? :p Seriously - I have my SLK loaded with nice radar and laser detection kit, but I guess I'm too old to push it much into the triple digits outside the track.

*Caveat - my new toy is *scary* from National Speed Limit (70) to points north. I was out for a ride the other night, nailed it at 70, and hit "oh sh1t" about 3 seconds later.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts

That's the smallish bit at the end of I-10, right? :p Seriously - I have my SLK loaded with nice radar and laser detection kit, but I guess I'm too old to push it much into the triple digits outside the track.

*Caveat - my new toy is *scary* from National Speed Limit (70) to points north. I was out for a ride the other night, nailed it at 70, and hit "oh sh1t" about 3 seconds later.
The 55 is quite a nice car, is it not? :tu:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts

Awaiting photos of the "xxx" "bad boy" SLK 55 AMG :D

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
The 55 is quite a nice car, is it not? :tu:
Yeah, sure is. I'm still getting used to the ride - I've got P-Zero 18's on it now, and it's quite a bit harsher than my '350.

I'd forgotten how insanely nice the V8 sounded, though - had a smile all the way to the office this morning, and a nice "thumbs up" from a passing DB9.

D

·
0 Posts
Careful for those police John mate, the 55 is like a magnet.

higgins, the software limit is soft if you find one at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been back & forth with the MB dealer in Baton Rouge the past week on an 09 55AMG. They claim they're only asking 1,000.00 over their cost; still wanting 70K. A bit much for a 55 "without" the performance pkg. IMHO. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,360 Posts
my 09 slk 55 amg was $70k without the amg performance package but i bought mine last year in may 08. they wanted $77k with the package.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've been back & forth with the MB dealer in Baton Rouge the past week on an 09 55AMG. They claim they're only asking 1,000.00 over their cost; still wanting 70K. A bit much for a 55 "without" the performance pkg. IMHO. What do you guys think?

Hey - who are you dealing with at MBBR? If you don't know anyone there already, talk to Michael Caruso - he's a great guy and a family friend. Tell him John sent you to talk to him all the way from London! :)

70k feels a bit on the high side, but options really add cost to the car - without know what's included, impossible to say. As I recall, base '55 invoice was a hair over 62k, obviously without tax, gas guzzler, etc. Add COMAND and a few other bits and bobs and I can see $70k.

I was in three weeks ago, and they are motivated to move cars, and seem to be moving quite a few - guess Louisiana economy is still surviving without the oil flowing.

One last thought - drive a '55 for a bit on your typical LA roads before you settle on one - the ride is quite a bit different from your 350. I did, and ended up with the '350 mainly because the '55 was too harsh a ride for a daily driver for me. I've just picked up a '55 here in London, and I'm loving the car, and I really don't think the roads are *that* much better over here - god know they are a heck of a lot smaller! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
video taped mine on high def @ 140mph, still had a way to go in 6th, i think it was at 5,000 rpm?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.