Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum for an answer but only came up with. How to change out the seals in the cylinders.
I changed the seals. It went easy. But it was hard to get the top into the guide holes and to get it to lock (activate the micro switches). I had to unscrew and adjust the locking latches. But I got them working (I think?). I was able to get the back windows to go up. Don't seem to go down though. When I push to button forward and hold it. I can hear a motor run for about 10 seconds. When I push it backwards I get nothing.
I just bought the car, with the top disabled. The guy I bought the car from said he replaced the cylinders in the trunk. But the one on top was leaking.
I've never seen or operated the top so I'm pretty much in the dark. Now that I have the back windows up I can use the car. But I can't get the top down without lowering the back windows.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Roll the front windows down and then operate the switch like you were going to close the top. How long do you hear the pump? Do the front windows close?

When trying to open you never hear the pump?

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pump only stays on for a few seconds. But I did find a bit of hydraulic fluid on the garage floor under the hydraulic pump. So it's probably got a leak. I'll get on it in a couple of days. When I can get someone to handle the switch, while I eyeball the pump. The guy that sold me the car replaced 2 hydraulic cylinders. That were supposedly leaking. They might have not put the lines in right.

One good thing. Today I took the car out for the first time. And we had horrendous thunderstorms. No leaks The top and windows didn't leak any water.
I was very happy with the overall feel and handling of the car. Learning the car little by little, just looked up what the S and W toggle switch is for.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts
ahhhh that wondrous book called the owner's manual :D

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the wiring diagram for your roof and micro switches?
Pretty sure I found one on here.
One question I have is does the top operation cause any codes? The check engine light is not on, but I wanted to ask about it. I don't have an OBD II meter yet. Will be getting one soon.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Pretty sure I found one on here.
One question I have is does the top operation cause any codes? The check engine light is not on, but I wanted to ask about it. I don't have an OBD II meter yet. Will be getting one soon.
Nope. Will not turn the CEL on.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts
When you pull the roof switch back to lower the roof, does the switch flash?
if yes then its a switch in the trunk.
Have you pulled the luggage cover back, its in the trunk. Look on page 126 of the owners manual.

check the hydraulic fluid level in the pump, its behind a small panel in the trunk Hydraulic Pump
check through the links in my signature for mor info regarding the roof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.