Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have had a great place to visit why not share and if you have had a bad experience warn us all.:)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't park in paris

Parking to people in Paris is like bumper cars!
overnight in Paris you are likely in need of a body shop later that day. Nice to visit paris I thought it romantic, untill someone tried to car jack my SLK thanks to the way the locks are, I was saved. Phew!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,536 Posts
Jon, what r u doing in the ladies section?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Lovely place to visit... lindisfarne ( holy Island, UK) Watch out for the Tides.

55.669737,-1.791453
Put this in google maps and /or GPS and it will take you there.
Short video of being caught ot by the tide...
www.scot-tec.co.uk/holy-island.mp4
You'll have to join us on one of our 'sheep chases' - around the Scottish Borders, Northumberland and Durham & Yorkshire Dales.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
The Romantic Road (Romantische Strasse) starts up in Bremen (near the SLK factory) and winds its way south. Many of the towns it passes through are found in the Brother's Grimm fairy tales.

We've always enjoyed the area around Wurzburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber (A9 I believe, and east of Frankfurt). Wurzburg has some lovely churches, architecture and scenery along the river. Rothenburg is over a thousand years old and there always seems to be a festival of some sort going on. From this area it's an easy drive down to Stuttgart even on the secondary highways. The MB and Porsche museums are worth seeing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
One of my favorite stretches of road is the A86 from Spean Bridge to the A9, an excellent driving road & some breathtaking scenery! Fantastic in the summer with the top down.

Worst? The road I drive to work on. :(

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
...as any gentleman would when a lady asks for assistance!

We've vacationed twice in Champagne region of France (an hour or so east of Paris, near Rheims, but the heart of the area is Epernay). The back roads beg for an SLK and the scenery is very nice. My only suggestion is to avoid mid to late Sept as it's harvest and the roads are full of tractors/trucks and when they're not present the roads can be slick in mud.

Epernay is very nice, so is Rheims. The old abandonned cathedral at Soisson is also impressive. You can't go far wrong in any of the towns in the area. The girls should go pay homage at Bollanger champagnerie (wink); that said the champagnerie tours are lots of fun, big or small. Of course, great food in the area. Lots of WW1 and 2 history for the lads of course.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wooly
Love your Pics Route Napoleon ( N85 ) in Southern France from Grenoble to Antibes. I will go perhaps in July... Thanks.
Cobra
Stelvio pass down to Italy from Switzerland,
It's a great drive going down hill... though on the way back I was in the mist, It's a long hard climb.

Der Flieger
Champagne region of France
THanks I am looking forward to my visit in July.

Another great drive is glen affric in march-may the highlands of scotland...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Remember in France Camera detectors are Illegal. Even disconnected and in the boot they can still fine you. If you have a sat nav with camera detection be careful. I always uninstall mine before I go to France.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Best thing about touring with an SLK is the cruise-control. Top down, driving slowly enjoying every moment. Note, I drive slowly with the roof down to prevent 'Convertable Hair' Ouch!
Speeding is not worth it, I love driving and want to keep driving; and although good advice with the speed camera detector thingy, the best policy is to travel at the speed limit for that road.
DB autozug
The Italian lakes are accessable by Motor-rail http://www.dbautozug.de This is a good idea as you travel overnight and can choose premium service which is great. Avioding thousands of miles of boring autobahns, the beauty of lake como awaits. There is disabled assistance at the stations though wheelchair access on the train is limited: for those who need it. http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/services/overview/handicap.shtml
The good thing about SLK's is you have nothing to prove by going fast. You know you could out-run most cars on the road anyway. No, I bought my SLK mostly for its comfort and driving ability.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Top down, driving slowly enjoying every moment. Note, I drive slowly with the roof down to prevent 'Convertable Hair' Ouch!

Hmmmm, well, there is always the tail end of the SheepChase!

One of my favorite drives, and I think most scenic, is the run up to Tan Hill Pub.

Another of Louise and I's favorite was the run across Brecon Beacons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.