Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing that the little nacelle on top of the trunk is an antenna for the Merc version of On-Star. Since that system is 10+ years old (and probably TDMA) it's more than likely useless.

What I'd like to do is remove it and replace it with a different antenna - that way I don't have to drill any holes.

Has anyone seen any instruction/video about doing such a thing?

TIA

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,392 Posts
you do a search mi amigo? i know it was addressed.
no video or diy other than talking about replacing it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did search (using google) and came up with some information but very little 'firm' info.

I was hoping for somebody who had done this and not created a post for it. I may do so if it works out. Even though the percentage of people interested is probably < 1% ;)

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
What kind of antenna are you looking to install? Is there not a radio antenna on the driver side rear fender? Or are you thinking about a satellite radio antenna?
There is info about installing a satellite antenna here http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/ Go down to procedures and then Satellite radios and MY 2005 (11/2005). I don't know if that is what you're looking for or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of antenna are you looking to install? Is there not a radio antenna on the driver side rear fender? Or are you thinking about a satellite radio antenna?
There is info about installing a satellite antenna here http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/ Go down to procedures and then Satellite radios and MY 2005 (11/2005). I don't know if that is what you're looking for or not.
Thanks.

There was information about how to drill the deck lid for installation (templates/procedures/etc), and it looks like the hole is either 14mm or 20mm - but pretty good detail about the procedure, which I can use to remove this antenna and install my own.

I'm looking to install a short (19") 2m/70cm Amateur Radio antenna.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
spclk- it's actually a GPS antenna, and yeah, you can pretty safely toss it unless you also happen to have the MapPilot in your car as well. I want to say it's a 12mm hole, but I don't have the reference literature in front of me.

I'm looking to install a short (19") 2m/70cm Amateur Radio antenna.

·
S L K Tech Enthusiast
602 Posts
Housing for shark fin antenna

If you just want to cover the hole with something that looks ok you can buy the empty housing for a satellite antenna for a few dollars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281117126190

Only problem is it wants to attach to your paint with double stick tape, so you'll want to come up with a small plate and bolt to save your finish.

I concealed a regular $10 (on eBay) Sirius antenna inside this because it has 3 times the gain of the tiny OEM factory version. The radio no longer drops out under overpasses where I live - hallelujah! No way I was going to drive around in an SLK with a magnetic antenna exposed.

The existing antenna takes less than 10 minutes to remove (at least on the R171) and this used the existing hole that I guess the factory had made since it was a perfect installation. Paint to match. Fixed a VERY annoying problem for less than $30 total. If anybody is interested I'll post more details but this may be enough to give you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at a hamfest this weekend and saw that they have NMO mount antennas (and bases) that are designed to mount through a hole in the deck lid. I'm going to take my nacelle off and see what size hole is there - the 2 mounts that I've seen require either a 3/8" or 3/4" hole (~10mm / ~19mm).

The 3/8" seems pretty good : Wilson 901103
I don't want to use the 3/4" as the hole will have to be enlarged too much: Wilson 901102

The only thing I don't like is that they come with SME female and while that matches my HT, it won't match my mobile (that needs a PL 239 on the antenna side). No biggie, I probably have to take the end off anyway when I fish the cable into the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking for replacement GPS antenna cap for 03 SLK320

Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement GPS antenna cap for my 03 SLK320? Mine was broken during a horrific hail storm and I have not been able to locate a new one. The Mercedes part # is 1298270231 (needs to be black) - Thanks, Rob

·
97,392 Posts
Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement GPS antenna cap for my 03 SLK320? Mine was broken during a horrific hail storm and I have not been able to locate a new one. The Mercedes part # is 1298270231 (needs to be black) - Thanks, Rob

let me check epc

you post your vin?

·
97,392 Posts

·
97,392 Posts
see the attached for part number

if i get your vin i can get better and your datacard

Attachments

·
97,392 Posts

·
97,392 Posts
9040 is black btw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apparently the part # that I was given didn't include the color code. I added my VIN to my vehicle info - it is: WDBKK65FX3F280089 - I appreciate your assistance :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.