Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a front lock cylinder in my 99 230. It has been a couple weeks since it was removed and due to the recent rains here I couldnt get to installing it . But its in, but the top wont operate . No power at the pump. The switch is on and flashing red when I push it to get top to close but thats it. I tried to get top to work to see if there were any leaks or anything wrong but the whole thing is dead. I taped the switch in the trunk that the curtain closes to get top to operate and i have checked all I can think of but no luck. Any tips or inside info is appreciated.
I will go over everything one more time. But after that I dont know what else to check. I have put the top down manually and covered it with the car cover. It did get wet inside due to 6 days of rain but everything on the car works electrically . So I dont think its wetness. So if you can help I appreciate it. Thanks
Stuck in the Carolinas

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,343 Posts
sounds like the pse pump is wet. there are some threads on that here recently so do a search before someone jumps in. one person just dried it with towels. good luck

·
97,343 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
RHS of the trunk, behind the trim, but the PSE pump has nothing to do with roof operations. It is a vacuum pump that operates the door, fuel flap and glove box locks.

·
97,343 Posts
He mentioned lock cylinder so I threw the pse in the mix

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I was sitting in the car thinking of what I had checked and needed to re-check when I decided to start from square one. So, I relieved the pressure manually closed the top to the locked position . Then I manually closed the trunk. Made sure all was well then I closed the pressure relief port, made sure the switch was closed in the trunk . Then I started the thing up and hit the top operation button and it started working !!!! The windows came down the trunk opened up the front lock unlocked . Then nothing. The top wont come down the pump works and it will close but not open. I have lubed all the pivot points and such but ran out of daylight. I at least have something to do tomrrow. Top does fine manually open and close. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I've not dealt with the roof hydraulics on our 171 and have no experience on the 170, but it being hydraulic, how did you clear out any/all air from the system? Is there a chance you have an air lock? I assume the level shows full?

It does sound like you're making progress; too bad it's taking so long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
top not working

I loosened the brass fitting on the side of the top pump in the trunk to releive the pressure . I read somplace in all the posts that the system is self priming so I didnt worry about it.

Should I take the bellows switch out and clean it or throw it away? what does it actually do ? MB didnt put it there to do nothing.

very cold here today so I didnt work on top. Colder tomorrow. may be weekend before I get to it . But top does go up and down fine manually. Just taking a long time to get this thing working. the car I gave to my Grandaughter and she wants it . I started out getting it to run then the top started leaking . Got cylinder fixed. 7 days ofd rain and so on. But I am down to the wire and I just am going slow here. So sooner or later it wil be working right. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
top not working

Ok so when I move switch to open the top the trunk opens up ,the front latch unlocks . Thats it . The pump stops working . I can push on the top but nothing helps. So, my thought is a switch someplace not operating properly. What other switches are there ? I will locate them and see what happens. But I need to know if my thoughts are right. I have cleaned and oiled the joints on all the linkage as a possibility but nothing happened. This led me to believe its a switch someplace

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmm... I was wondering if anyone knows if OBD scanners will read faulty codes for the roof switches/top operation in general!? I think this info should be sent to the ECU for easy diagnostics. Does anyone know or tried?!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Hmmm... I was wondering if anyone knows if OBD scanners will read faulty codes for the roof switches/top operation in general!? I think this info should be sent to the ECU for easy diagnostics. Does anyone know or tried?!
I'm not even sure if the proprietary Mercedes computer systems will read roof switch issues, but I'm fairly certain that generic type scanners won't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
top not working

Ok so today I braved the cold and went outside to tackle the issue with the top not working . I started on the wiring at the latches. About 3" from the passenger latch mechanism micro switch is a clip that held the wiring . The wiring was pinched as was being held in the retaining clip. At least it seemed so. I carefully cut the rubber protective cover off the blue and brown wires and found the blue wire had indeed been pinched and had over time of the top going up and down had broken the wire allowing it to prevent the top from moving. I spliced the wire back together and now the top works perfectly. I attached the wire with a ziptie instead of putting it back inthe metal clip. Now it can move when the top is opening and closing. Thanks to everyone who had some advice on this dilema . I learned so much about the car through these replies . Still think the Benz is the best car on the road. Despite what you have to do to them form time to time. Thanks again to all . :tu:

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
Ok so today I braved the cold and went outside to tackle the issue with the top not working . I started on the wiring at the latches. About 3" from the passenger latch mechanism micro switch is a clip that held the wiring . The wiring was pinched as was being held in the retaining clip. At least it seemed so. I carefully cut the rubber protective cover off the blue and brown wires and found the blue wire had indeed been pinched and had over time of the top going up and down had broken the wire allowing it to prevent the top from moving. I spliced the wire back together and now the top works perfectly. I attached the wire with a ziptie instead of putting it back inthe metal clip. Now it can move when the top is opening and closing. Thanks to everyone who had some advice on this dilema . I learned so much about the car through these replies . Still think the Benz is the best car on the road. Despite what you have to do to them form time to time. Thanks again to all . :tu:

Interesting find Red! I have a similar issue where all the windows go down, trunk opens, I see the Hex head whatsit in the center turn, but the locks do not release. I will look into the wiring as you did.

If anyone has other ideas I am sure open to suggestions. :hb:

I just purchased the vehicle and its a 1999 SLK230 AMG

thanks in advance,
Stinger

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have you got a photo please of the bit you did?
:Beer:
Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.