Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been three days since my smartTop was successfully installed and I am praying that it has nothing to do with the malfunction I currently experienced. I enjoy using the one button close function with continuous power.

Today I set the roof to shut then headed off to the elevator at work. Upon my return, my top had latched, but my trunk was still in the 45 degree angle along with all my windows rolled down.

I hit my lock button three times on my fob and the trunk and windows proceeded to close. Then I thought hmm, will it open. I then proceeded to hit unlock three times to open my top. My windows came down and my trunk opened back to the 45 degrees position, but the top did not unlatch and fold back into the trunk. I thought to myself well I guess it won't open now and I need to get it checked out then proceeded to hit lock three times to close the trunk. I could hear the trunk motor running but nothing was moving. I tired several times and even unlatched the safty slider then relatched it. I couldn't get teh trunk to close. I went back to my desk for about 15 minutes then came out again. This time I manually tried to close it and it worked; however it wasn't the normal close. It was more like there was a pressure build up that was holding the trunk open and that it finally released and the truck closed and then my windows went up.

I used the inside car control to disable the smartTop for now. I am also scared to put the top down again in fear that it might not go back up. Has anyone experienced their trunk haulting after the top has closed? Any ideas what could have caused this? I am half tempted to just leave the top up until next spring as this govt furlough nonsense is effecting my wallet :(

Any and all constructive comments are welcome.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmm

I had something similar to this happen one time. Before you went up to your office, did you get something out of your trunk? This happened to me because the trunk was not properly closed.

I can't remember if the top was coming down or up, but I remember the trunk got stuck in the open clamshell position. I had to unlatch my trunk, and relatch it, while it was in the 45 degree open position (it was kind of bizarre), then it was totally fine and hasn't happened since. Something you might check, and it seems silly, is whether or not the trunk is correctly latched.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my problem is the top didn't latch correctly. There is a gap even though it is closed and when I am driving I can hear all the wind going in that gap. The top will no longer retract and the truck to the 45 degree position but then get stuck. I have to wait 15 minutes then I can start then car and hold down the close button and it will go back, but the top still has the gap. I think the top is halted in this position.

·
Registered
90 Posts

So, the top can be managed manually as a fail-safe. I think it's important from a safety standpoint for you to get your top fully latched. What I would do, is learn how to manually open or close the R170 top, latch it the full way, then fold it down the full way a few times until you know how to do it well. Then I would put everything all the way down, and then re-engage the system and try to close everything back up electronically. [EDIT] That's what I would do, but I would also spend some time looking at the motors and hydraulics and making sure that nothing had seized up. The way I see it, if it's broken it's broken and going to need to be replaced, so I don't mind forcing it to see if it's just a superficial problem. But I just wanted to be careful about advocating my trial and error "get a bigger hammer" approach.

It may just be that it's all out of sync and just needs you to sync it up again. Check this thread...

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/28297-how-open-r170-top-manually.html

or this one...

http://www.slkworld.com/ask-dansslk/18626-taking-top-down-manually.html

Let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dropped my car off at the dealer during lunch and got a call back not even 3 hours later. Apparently the latches for the top are seizing and causing the top to not fully latch. The dealer is going to fix everything for $200. They said they had to manually lower the top and then they are able to lubricate all the top parts plus latches and then resync the top. If I don't have them repair it, then I will have to pay a diagnostic fee so I told them to just do it and save myself the time. I am happy and can't wait to re-engage my smartTop which they had no idea was installed :)

Here is the diagnostic info from the dealer. I don't know why they like to yell...

FOUND LATCHES BOUND UP. OPENED MANUALLY.
NECESSARY TO ADJUST AND LUBRICATE FRONT TOP LATCHES. ORIG/MORE-> RESYNC. RECHECK. OKAY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.