Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '02 SLK320 for about a month and a half now and I am the first to admit that there is still alot for me to learn about these cars. But I am starting to suspect I have a problem with the electrics in my top, specifically a switch or something.

I am having a problem putting the top back up from down once I have lowered it and left it down for a while. I have inquired on other forums as to specific sequences for putting the top up and down, but can not figure out what is wrong, and whether or not it is me or the sequence or something else. There is not issue with the hydrolics once the top starts up or down, its just getting the top switch to the solid red light when top is down and you want to raise it.

Scenerio:
Anytime the top is down for a period of time, usually after a drive, etc. regardless of windows being up/down, regardless of car being in gear, brake being applied or other; the top won't go up.

If the car is running I can not put the top back up. The only way for me to get it up in this scenerio is to cut the car off and back on. Once I have done this, I can put it up either with the engine running or car in accessory position.

Is this normal, or am I missing something; or is this an indication of another issue. i.e. top switch, brake position switch, etc?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
Try cleaning up the contacts on the micro switches , grease the articulations of the roof mechanism ??

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,529 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
latches lubricated etc.
I'm with Curro on this one..sounds like micro switches perhaps...and by turning off and then back on you've reset them.

Definitely not normal or operator problem!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will run through the trouble guide and take a look at the LH and RH contact switches. What do you'all recommend to clean the contacts, Qutip and rubbing alcohol ?

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
will run through the trouble guide and take a look at the LH and RH contact switches. What do you'all recommend to clean the contacts, Qutip and rubbing alcohol ?
Contact cleaner , sold as a spray !
Either what Curro stated or just using WD40 should work. That is what WD40 was actually originally made for was an electrical cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.