Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

You have been extremely helpful in the past with some minor issues I have had...I just hope someone will have another idea for me.

I have a 99 SLK 230 and the top will not go up.

I press the button and the driver side latch will not release. The passenger side will start to move, but then stops. **when the trunk lid begins to tip back**

I have followed the steps to manually raise the top, but ran into a small (frickin' huge) problem.

I am supposed to pull the two release cables to override the locks...well I spent 45 minutes with a flashlight and mirror looking for the cable on the driver side...it's just not there.

I have the release cable for the passenger side, but that isn't the side that is stuck.

Does anyone have a magic cure for me? just over a week ago I spent $2300 getting the head machined and valve guides replaced because it was drinking oil.

I'm willing to pay to have it fixed...I'd just really like to get a little breathing room between major repairs...and if I can get the top up, I will not have to worry about rain while I get ready for the next invoice.

Thanks a million.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, nobody has had any ideas for me :(

It is a good thing I have a garage because the weather here has been pretty horrible. Weather reports say we are in for a week of sun...so at least I'm not on the bus to and from work...2 hours each way really sucks.

In an attempt to shed a little light on the problem (literally) I removed the brake light housing...that gave a nearly straight view right up to the latch mechanism.

I can still find zero indication of where the release cable is supposed to be.

My next step was to use my laptop and a webcam along with the flashlight to see if I can see into the tighter corners...still nothing.

I have no idea how the manual release is supposed to work on the drivers side.

I have a growing fear that the entire roof assembly is going to have to be disassembled in the trunk and removed one piece at a time in order to access the latch mechanism.

If anyone has a "Dear God nooooo...you just have to do ________" Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Hey Scott

Both cables should be in the same spot just behind the panels, maybe you have to reach in to locate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thank you for the input.

I understand that both cables should be in the same spot.

As I mentioned...I spent close to an hour reaching around in the cavity looking for the release cable. I used lights and mirrors...I even went so far as to remove the brake light assembly and use a webcam to look everywhere that my head (and hands) would not fit.

While the link you provided me with is helpful, it provides the same information that is available in the Dealer Manual.

Again...I appreciate the effort, but at this point I am way beyond "reach for it".

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.