Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
There are certainly some neat technical features that have been added, but there again that is just technology advancing, in 2020 there will be something else. I really don't see, in my case anyway, giving up my 172 55 AMG with handling package etc for this. I don't know whether or not you looked at any other videos but there was one with the SLC 300 that had the illumination package that shone a MB Logo on the floor from the side mirrors...that was cool.

It may well do decent sales numbers in Europe but I am not sure on this side of the pond, we like our V8's and gas is cheap as chips, so for the sake of 3mpg it is not going to kill me. I can see the 350 owner on this side of the water moving up into 43 if the price point is good, but it is in for some stiff competition.

I will watch the reviews with interest.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Please, please do not, anyone, base your judgement on anything written or reviewed by Top Gear - the biggest bunch of idiots - highly paid idiots mind you - that were ever allowed to touch a car.
Whoever wrote this one has not the slightest idea of what the car is about, and even less on what path technology is guiding us which is so important in understanding where all the manufacturers are going, and the mixed feelings on this and many other model changes.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
All the reviews say pretty much the same thing;

"It's a shame the bonkers V8 is gone"

"It's as fast as the old one"

"It's not a sports car"

"It's pretty good"

Which is pretty much what we've known since January.

One thing a couple of reviews have pointed out - it's 30kg lighter but the SLC43 doesn't have electric seats as standard. Is that why? So they can knock 50kg off for the electric seats and claim a 30kg weight saving? Or am I being too cynical?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Come on put in that new V8 just for the hell of it :laugh:
I would almost place a bet that there might be a very limited edition of SLCs, at the end of their run before the SLC proper kicks in, with a V8 of some sort but maybe not the 4.0L. Maybe in much the same vein as they did with the R129 - might they even call it a Silver Arrow..?:cool:

Now, I would never have lumped the SLK into a comparison with the Jaguar F type - different market, surely? TT would be the main competitor, not though the Boxster that has yet again shown its carbuild superiority over MB...

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
All the reviews say pretty much the same thing;

"It's a shame the bonkers V8 is gone"

"It's as fast as the old one"

"It's not a sports car"

"It's pretty good"

Which is pretty much what we've known since January.

One thing a couple of reviews have pointed out - it's 30kg lighter but the SLC43 doesn't have electric seats as standard. Is that why? So they can knock 50kg off for the electric seats and claim a 30kg weight saving? Or am I being too cynical?

Never really understood why you need power seats in a two seater or even a 4 for that matter unless there are going to be multiple drivers. I haven't adjusted the drivers seat since the day I bought it...and as for the passenger seat, how many different size passengers do you get in a one year? The trouble is we like our luxuries too much and of course have to keep up with the 'Jones's'.

And as for the comparison with 0-60 with the 55, it depends which review or video you watch; we will only ever know when you have them side by side with equal amounts of fuel and the same size / weight passenger driving it....and BTW who really cares that much..........except Jeff of course>:D

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
So, there currently sits in Mercedes showrooms, the following,
G63, GLE63 S coupe or wagon, GLS63
E63 sedan,
S63 sedan, S63 Coupe,
CLS63 S,
SL63
C63 coupe, C63 sedan, C63 wagon, ( have I missed any?)

There seems to be a theme here, a '63 for everyone,

But no SLC 63 ! Really?

For how long?

Oh, and what is the capacity of those '63s? ... 5.5L isn't it?

An SLK55 by any other name will still be just as ........loud ?

Dropping the price of the current top end SLC just leaves space for a price point above it.
Afterall what does a SL65 do that the SL63 can't except say.." More exclusive", " more outrageous"
I'll bet my 20 cents that the range of SLCs will grow a bit more later on when the boost in sales from the new model softens somewhat.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
You have to understand where MB is placing its range. The SLC and SL are now one family. They are have tooled up so that they both share the same build platform - the bulkheads are the same and the floorpans are tooled so that they can both be assembled on one line. The SL will continue where the SLC leaves off - ie the powerplant in the SLC43 is the entry point for the SL.

It is a popular myth that the numeric part of the model name relates to the engine size. It does not although many have co-incided.

You are correct that the 65 is more exclusive, and is there to satisfy those who are willing to pay a lot more for a bit more. I am glad MB have not foresaken its V12 as it is sheer joy to drive.

The C Klasse will always have the sport bias simply because it is the one area - along with the A Klasse - where competition is fiercer.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Please, please do not, anyone, base your judgement on anything written or reviewed by Top Gear - the biggest bunch of idiots - highly paid idiots mind you - that were ever allowed to touch a car.
Whoever wrote this one has not the slightest idea of what the car is about, and even less on what path technology is guiding us which is so important in understanding where all the manufacturers are going, and the mixed feelings on this and many other model changes.
You're overreacting. Perhaps you have 'other' issues when it comes to Top Gear.
Whilst I agree that sometimes the three do behave like schoolboys ( & the show has had its day) you forget that Clarkson especially is a masterful wordsmith. The written report is an accurate & measured judgement without having to resort to childish analogies.
The observation that the Mercedes is NOT an out & out hairy chested sports car is well made.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
I'm sensing a little hostility towards the slc 43 , especially from 55 drivers , I doubt very much anyone on here can sense .1 of a second difference to 60mph through the seat of their trousers , and I'm in the front of the queue ! If you drove them back to back you would probably think the new car was faster due to the power delivery of a turbo engine .
I was on the point of buying a 55 when I sat down and thought seriously about it and the 43 makes more sense for me , 55s will probably level out in price now and some may appreciate , but only the best . The main reason I didn't go for a 55 is my cars live outside all year , they get driven ever day and I may even throw a bucket of soapy water over them once every 6 months ! I can't justify a car sat round not earning it's keep and as such the 43 is the better car for me . I've never seen the point of having a good car and not using it , its like ordering a wagyu steak , putting it in your pocket and calling in at mcdonalds on your way home !
They are both great cars , I need a car with a warranty , sensible running costs , folding hard top and gives some driver enjoyment ,I said before and stand by it , buy what suits yourself , not someone else's opinion .
Good 55s should be a wise investment if your not looking at driving them very much .

·
*Registered
SLK is sold
262 Posts
The author of the Top Gear article was wrong on at least one point: "and bought by people who’d never bother with the handling limits of something like a Boxster or an Elise.". Having owned an Elise for 8 years and using it as a daily driver (my only car) and now doing the same with an SLK, one can appreciate the characteristics of each even though they are almost polar opposites. And having owned V8-engined cars of 5.7, 6.4 & 7.5 liters, I also understand the lure of them. Then there's the rotary. I had several of those...very sweet in their own right. We live in wonderful times with a plethora of options. Need a big V-engined fix? Buy a Viper (while you still can)!

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whilst I agree that sometimes the three do behave like schoolboys ( & the show has had its day) you forget that Clarkson especially is a masterful wordsmith. The written report is an accurate & measured judgement without having to resort to childish analogies.
The observation that the Mercedes is NOT an out & out hairy chested sports car is well made.
Totally agree, but be aware the review I posted was not written by any of the three usual suspects - who I suspect no longer contribute to the site.

To add probable insult to injury they've also released a review of the SLC 250d

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/250d/first-drive

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
I'm sensing a little hostility towards the slc 43 , especially from 55 drivers , I doubt very much anyone on here can sense .1 of a second difference to 60mph through the seat of their trousers , and I'm in the front of the queue ! If you drove them back to back you would probably think the new car was faster due to the power delivery of a turbo engine .
The 55 in reality is much closer to 4 seconds flat...only time will tell how quick the 43 is in reality. However, there is no doubt the 55 would lose the 43 beyond 60. I am curious to see how the 43 will handle, on track I doubt there would be anything between them. The sad thing is to see the competition making much faster cars, whereas AMGs don't seem to be getting much if any quicker - they could make the SLC so much faster, but of course it would then ruin their much more expensive line up. Shame. Hopefully the R173 is where it is at.

Of course the main point is that the SLC43 is not a true AMG! However, if I were buying an SLK new I guess I would pick this up - hopefully some decent remaps come out.

I do, however, like some of the technological improvements on this facelift.

Please oh please give us an SLC63 :grin:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Totally agree, but be aware the review I posted was not written by any of the three usual suspects - who I suspect no longer contribute to the site.

To add probable insult to injury they've also released a review of the SLC 250d

First drive: the new Mercedes SLC 250d | Top Gear
OUCH!!

But again, mostly true.

And darn it, but that car looks AMAZING in Fire Opal Red.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
The 55 in reality is much closer to 4 seconds flat...only time will tell how quick the 43 is in reality. However, there is no doubt the 55 would lose the 43 beyond 60. I am curious to see how the 43 will handle, on track I doubt there would be anything between them. The sad thing is to see the competition making much faster cars, whereas AMGs don't seem to be getting much if any quicker - they could make the SLC so much faster, but of course it would then ruin their much more expensive line up. Shame. Hopefully the R173 is where it is at.

Of course the main point is that the SLC43 is not a true AMG! However, if I were buying an SLK new I guess I would pick this up - hopefully some decent remaps come out.

I do, however, like some of the technological improvements on this facelift.

Please oh please give us an SLC63 :grin:
SLC is not yet listed on the MB Canada website, SLK is still out there. Whereas in the past there were a number of options, but they have all been thrown in and the options are now just about limited to the AMG Handling package($6,000) and magic sky($2500) any choice of paints at no extra charge and as far as the wheels go for the 10 spoke add $500. If you load the car up it just comes in $100,000 Cdn + the dreaded taxes. No doubt you could play around with the dealer and get a few grand off. I called my dealer recently and there are none sat in showrooms within the Province with the specs I have now...he will call me if a 2015/16 comes in or within the MB group... but he said 'don't hold your breath'.

I think the issue of whether or not it's an AMG is now well and truly dead and buried...Tobias says it is and that AMG is no longer exclusive...so as a 55 owner we just have to get on with our lives and show some TLC toward the last NA V8:x

·
Banned
973 Posts
I think the issue of whether or not it's an AMG is now well and truly dead and buried...Tobias says it is and that AMG is no longer exclusive...so as a 55 owner we just have to get on with our lives and show some TLC toward the last NA V8:x
Oh dear here does seem to be a lot of smug huffing & puffing here as to whether a car is a true AMG or not.
How annoying to pay all that extra for a REAL AMG only to discover Mercedes have made most non-AMG's look like real AMG's.
Guess what? Nobody cares & nobody notices.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.