Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big fan of the Brit version of Top Gear. Caught the last half hour of a US version episode. NO comparison. The name, 3 hosts and having a STIG only real similarities.

any one like the US version?

·
fastdawg
4,384 Posts
I watch the US version, and I'm taking to it better, but the Brit version is by far the best one! I'll watch reruns of those guys til my eyes bleed! The interaction between the 3 guys in the Brit version is just freakin great! I'd like to see the Australian version or maybe the German version sometime.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Not watched the US version, but I went off the UK version a few years back. Got tired of them putting entertainment front and centre at the expense of useful information and review integrity. The fast-forward button gets a good workout when I watch it.

I really like what Discovery have done with Fifth Gear since they got their hands on it.

There are some really good online reviewers out there - \Drive (especially the Chris Harris episodes), XCar and TheGetawayer spring to mind.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I don't watch the US version.

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I don't fancy the US version.
Has been watching the UK version since season 9
Love it.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Cannot stand the US version. I have to say the Brits do great TV - our "national" (ie taxpayer uberfunded) broadcaster constantly rips them off and then messes them up. The only show I like from over here is "Canada's Worst Driver" - you wonder how any of them ever got a licensed! (and no, I've never been a guest on the show!)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Not a fan of the US version. I tried to watch it, offend times, I end up forwarding to the parts I want to watch. I like the UK version better. Right now, I prefer Fifth gear and it's a more proper car review show. Top UK is for the comedy. Fifth gear for proper car show.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Top gear is not really a car show in the old sense. 5th Gear has moved in to that space very well with 'proper' road tests. Tiff and the gang do an OK job there and it's always entertaining to watch Vikki BH!

Top gear is more about JC's totally un-PC, chauvanistic, irreverant attitude to just about everything. Ripping off the latest Dacia or putting a Toyota hilux on top of a collapsing building. Clarksons total ham fistedness at anything mechanical is in total juxtaposition to his occupation as a 'motoring journalist'.

The US version tried too hard to remain a 'serious' car show.

Who of us haven't dreamed of driving our SLK's down the Gotthard Pass ( done that one several times ) or the Transfăgărășan after the top gear specials and visiting Vietnam takes on a new appeal after the special there and the trip across Botswana brought back memories.

Top gear is a great program but even some of us old aficionados are getting a little jaded with the same old format.

Now if they would just employ Sabine Schmitz on TG and dump either the Hamster or Captain Slow she could offset and hold her own against JC and teach him a bit about driving into the bargain!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I love the UK Top Gear. It's pretty much all I ever watch. Given half the chance I could watch the re-runs all day long. Just ask my poor long suffering wife....:D

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I sometimes enjoy TG, but as was stated, I love what DC/Velocity does with 5th Gear. I liked 5th Gear when it was on years ago, and record every episode that airs now. It's just better, imo.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I like it much better than Keeping Up with the Kardashians:big laugh:

The US version has gotten better, now its the three of them driving similar vehicles with various challenges along the way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In the UK Clarkson is generally regarded as a bit of a knob, Captain Slow is very knowledgeable but seldom is afforded any serious airtime, while Hamster just tries to get cheap laughs at every opportunity.

It remains however, compulsive viewing for petrolheads as every once in a while there is a really good challenge / epic journey / serious road test.

You've just got to suffer the (very obviously scripted) humour to reap the benefits (eg when they released Stig's identity).

I've never seen the US version and to be honest I probably wouldn't have the will given some of your comments posted here.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Never seen the US version , but love the UK one , after all Jeffs , "hanky out " stories , you need a good laugh , jeje !!

·
Registered
317 Posts
While I do like the US version (it's entertaining), the UK version is better. Nothing like British humor! Been a fan ever since Monty Python! Although Tanner Foust on the US version is an incredible driver. His credentials are pretty impressive!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the UK Clarkson is generally regarded as a bit of a knob, Captain Slow is very knowledgeable but seldom is afforded any serious airtime, while Hamster just tries to get cheap laughs at every opportunity.

It remains however, compulsive viewing for petrolheads as every once in a while there is a really good challenge / epic journey / serious road test.

You've just got to suffer the (very obviously scripted) humour to reap the benefits (eg when they released Stig's identity).

The Stig Revealed: Behind the Scenes - Top Gear - YouTube

I've never seen the US version and to be honest I probably wouldn't have the will given some of your comments posted here.

IIRC I saw him on another show where he was refered to as the former Stig.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts