Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First time posting. I love to drive with the top down and the airscarf plus the heated seats do help a lot when its a little cooler. My question is can i use the regular heat in the car? The automatic temperature controlled system. My concern is if I did use this it would constantly be blowing at its hottest temperature and maybe fail sooner. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under quick links when you leave.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
97,326 Posts
you can use the heat of course. and with the auto, you control the temperature, yes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff! I guess my main concern was some how damaging the system by having it on with the top down. I wish I asked this before my last trip to New Hampshire. ;)

·
97,326 Posts
no damage, be aware that on heat, only the side vents blow and not the middle ones

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I do it all the time. IMHO the heating system is not that prone to failure, but I have only had the car for one winter. I view the heater, heated seats, and airscarf as just more of the conveniences I paid for in my SLK to give me more:

Top Down Days :rb

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
If you have the roof retracted, and the main windows up (deployed), and the rear windscreen (between the roll "bars"), I've found just the heat alone from the HVAC works well to around 40 deg, F. Below this, I may use AirScarf. Rarely use the heated seats even at 32F.

I have the manual system with 4 dials: keep the temp setting at 76F for both passenger and driver, fan speed at 2 or 2.5, flap mode set to blow air mostly from the dash vent and a wee bit to the cockpit floor. The D-shaped vents set to blow warm air towards the steering wheel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everybody! It looks like next fall i'll be enjoying a lot more top down days as well! :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
We ran our car til mid Nov (2C) and had it back out by mid March (similar temp). We're quite cozy at 21-23C on the temp selector. As noted above, you can run in either auto or manual (selecting feet, torso or either). We both enjoy the airscarf; we'll use the seat heat til the engine comes up to temp, but that's about it.

Welcome from Ottawa Canada.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Running the heater will not hurt your car. All cars make heat by just running. If anything, you're helping keep the engine cool:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, having the heat on, releases some of the temps from your motor too for long drives? or maybe that was with my Honda haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Love love love the AirScarf! At first I thought it quite novel as I was more interested in the heated seats. But that little vent is the best! I also like to use it when the temp outside is okay but the wind is cool, which happens sometimes while driving by the water. I haven't taken it down to quite the temps mentioned here, but am becoming a little more adventerous in what weather conditions are acceptable for top down days. :)

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
305 Posts
This past weekend my wife and I left home early and drove to the mountains. Early in the day it was very cool. We put the top down, windows up and the heater on. We were very comfortable. Just after noon it warmed up enough to turn the heater off. Later in the day the sun came out and the temperature went up. We left the top down, windows up and air-conditioning on. We were very comfortable.
We love our SLK

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's been built to be used

I think you guyshaveit right. Heating on and a woolly hat and roof down!

The heating will in no way damage acar. All it does is route a bit of coolant through a heat exchanger that heats the flowing air. Nothing wears more or less as without the heating.

As of cooling the engine, the radiator in the front is more effective in the task, if your themostat is working.

I have noticed though, that with the AC completely off there is less draft through the cabin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.