Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a stunning day and here's the view from my deck, something I will never get tired of! Calling for 68° and clear skies. I wish I could down the Eucalyptus but that's a no-no. In any case, it's time to get those lower branches trimmed, which ain't so low by the way. Watching those tree trimmers scale those trees is amazing!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very nice. I'll be making that drive in 2 weeks. Coming to San Jose for work, then flying out the wife and kiddos for a long weekend in Monterey and San Fran. Just no top down for me, more likely a minivan for the kids carseats and all the luggage.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. I'll be making that drive in 2 weeks. Coming to San Jose for work, then flying out the wife and kiddos for a long weekend in Monterey and San Fran. Just no top down for me, more likely a minivan for the kids carseats and all the luggage.
Good going! RU in the tech. business? Come out often? I work on the peninsula (Palo Alto area) and commute now 3-4 days a week but it's worth it. I'm living in the Santa Cruz area, in a little town called Aptos. Take the kids to the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, they will love it. Then a short 30 minute drive to Monterey where you have to see the Aquarium.....it's a must. Then a couple minutes away is Carmel, the wife will enjoy the shopping there. For you, if you are a golfer, then all sorts of places for you to play, both in Carmel and in the Carmel Valley.

Have a nice trip!

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,842 Posts
Get back to work you slacker!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
sweeeeet! weather was crummy here today...I'm jealous...tho' in general we have 250+ days of sun here!! course its gettin' warmer and summer is a preview of hell here...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I'm envious Stinger. The view from my balcony here in the UK.
Is wet, windy & cold.
ie. no roof down Again Today !

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
....so miss our lives in Sunnyvale. where exactly are you located... I suspect on the Hwy 1 side of the hills? Loved the drive down to Monterey to dive...

I was lead to believe that those trees are hard as nails...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good going! RU in the tech. business? Come out often? I work on the peninsula (Palo Alto area) and commute now 3-4 days a week but it's worth it. I'm living in the Santa Cruz area, in a little town called Aptos. Take the kids to the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, they will love it. Then a short 30 minute drive to Monterey where you have to see the Aquarium.....it's a must. Then a couple minutes away is Carmel, the wife will enjoy the shopping there. For you, if you are a golfer, then all sorts of places for you to play, both in Carmel and in the Carmel Valley.

Have a nice trip!
Yup, I work for one of the big tech companies. Come out to San Jose one week a month. The wife decided it was time she took the trip. So now the family is coming out during one of my work trips - saves me the airfare, but she'll spend that in 5 minutes in Carmel.
Thanks for the ideas...the Monterey aquarium was definitely high on the list.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....so miss our lives in Sunnyvale. where exactly are you located... I suspect on the Hwy 1 side of the hills? Loved the drive down to Monterey to dive...

I was lead to believe that those trees are hard as nails...
JJ, We were living on the peninsula in Atherton. Our offices are still there so we keep a small place when we don't have time to make the drive. But our "real" home is now in Aptos, which is a small town adjacent to to Santa Cruz. It's a 50 mile commute each way but well worth it, and a very pretty drive too. Because we can make our own hours we are able to miss all the commute traffic if need be. Below is a map to refresh your memory.

[/IMG]

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, I work for one of the big tech companies. Come out to San Jose one week a month. The wife decided it was time she took the trip. So now the family is coming out during one of my work trips - saves me the airfare, but she'll spend that in 5 minutes in Carmel.
Thanks for the ideas...the Monterey aquarium was definitely high on the list.
You'd better be careful, she just might not want to go back to Texas. Although I have a younger cousin who moved just outside of Dallas a few years ago and she says they will never come back to the bay area. It is just so expensive for young couples starting out. They went to Texas and bought a home there that they could only dream of owning here. But with that affordable house comes that Texas weather :)

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Oh the flash backs, loved the area, and loved PCH 1. My last duty assignment before being transferred to Southern Arizona (where I retired) was Fort Ord, CA. Had an ocean view from my military quarters on base. However, running on the beeches with flak jackets and singing cadence and sneak waves that fill your running shoes with water and sand kind of took the romantic feeling out of the casual stroll on the beach. lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
You'd better be careful, she just might not want to go back to Texas. Although I have a younger cousin who moved just outside of Dallas a few years ago and she says they will never come back to the bay area. It is just so expensive for young couples starting out. They went to Texas and bought a home there that they could only dream of owning here. But with that affordable house comes that Texas weather :)
The cost of living is why I'm in Texas and not Cali. The wife has been out before...she loves the Bay Area, Napa and Sonoma in particular, but she realizes our TX house would be 5x the cost out there.
My boss lived in Santa Cruz and drove over the hill on hwy 17 for 15 years. Back in 2007 he sold that house, built a massive home in AZ and now flies back and forth to SJC on his own dime and he says its cheaper than when he lived in Cali.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
.....My boss lived in Santa Cruz and drove over the hill on hwy 17 for 15 years. Back in 2007 he sold that house, built a massive home in AZ and now flies back and forth to SJC on his own dime and he says its cheaper than when he lived in Cali.
I can believe that. But Santa Cruz, compared to other parts of the bay area (especially the peninsula which is where we been for the last 20 years) is a real deal, and a beautiful community as you know. The only inconvenience is the shlep over Hwy 17, which is beautiful, but can be treacherous. I'm in business for myself with four locations around the bay, one of them being in Campbell. If we set up our offices there, then it would be an easy 30 minute commute. But our Atherton office is all set up, it just would be a real hassle to change it all around like that. So, we have a little condo on the peninsula. We stay there if work requires it or if the weather is so bad we don't want to drive over the hump. We should get together some time for a beer!

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
That unit has quite the history...well done you. Perhaps you'll offer up a few snippets - not my place.
Hi John, Thank you. It would seem I was in some pretty famous units during my 20 year stint. Some of these units are internationally known for service during all the major wars: 1st ID, 2nd ID, 4th ID, 7th ID (light), NATO-Alternate War HQ-Mannheim, Germany, USAREUR 5th SIG CMD (11th ACR, Fulda (Gap), Germany, to name some of my assignments. I was just one Senior Non-Comm doing my part. :usa:

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
The 7th..

Anyone who served knows, the unit's performance is dependent on the NCOs; and that's from a "shiney"!

A bit more on the 7th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

I'm not sure, but I believe the 7th fought along side the Canadians in Korea, and notably the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) - the only foreign unit to carry the US Presidential Unit Citation, for its valor filling the line at Kapyong.

Something Kim Jung Un should keep in mind.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts