Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 2001 SLK320 (low mileage Snowbird car). I was checking all the functions and noted that the right trunk lift cylinder leaked. The temperature was high 40's F and I suspect the top had not been used recently. I have cycled the top several times since and no leaks or drips. Is it possible that the low temp caused contraction of the seal and/or lack of use was not lubricating the seal? Fluid level in pump is in normal range and I can not find any evidence of past leaks.Opinions wanted. Thanks

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,438 Posts
Got to ask, are you sure it was oil from the cylinder and not something else. Leaks like this is sometimes caused by low use (low miles). You will need to watch this and other items that have dried or froze due to no or low use if you start using them every day. Had this to happen to a car a bought years ago thing went bad due to low use. A member of our group had these type of problems with a very low miles car he bought. A tech at the dealer warned him that he would have a lot of expense due to low miles.

Wish you good luck with your new purchase.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it definitely was the cylinder, i could see it on cylinder ram and directly below on plastic trim panel in trunk. Have been slowly inspecting top and trunk seals, hoses, belt, etc. for cracks and leaks.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will pull the the trigger when the time comes. But the point of the thread was that it is not leaking any more. Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will pull the the trigger when the time comes. But the point of the thread was that it is not leaking any more. Has anyone had a similar experience?
That really sounds strange... Usually the top locking cylinder starts leaking first and ruins the headliner. The rubber rings inside the cylinder just crack and become less flexible and oil starts dripping through these cracks. Take a look at the last two pictures in this thread:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/28546-some-tips-tricks-convertible-top-cylinder-rebuilds.html#post337117
My best guess is that you had a crack and then some piece chipped out and closed the void... Just keep an eagle eye on it every time you operate the roof and watch for leak!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.