Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Thanks but a bit of an oxymoron since have to tune a V8 like two 4s for real efficiency. Think a direct injected DOHC 6 with boost can be a whole lot more efficient and just as fast under 100 mph.

Just consider that street racers are having to use computers to dial back the power to keep from going up in smoke, torque curves are maintaining 90% of peak from 1800 rpm to 7000, and a street Renault has exceeded 150 hp/liter and is approaching 200. A 500 hp/400 lb-ft 3 liter V6 in a 3,000 lb package should be enough for anyone.

And then there is the new Ford GT. These are the good old days.

So nothing wrong with an SLK55 and they really do sound nice, I just prefer a Jag with bananas or a Stinger with Trombones.

ps from 1967 to 1990 most of my cars including race cars were V8s but have always preferred a good six. Now just have one V8 left.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Padgett this article is about Fuel Efficient V8 Engines with the most horsepower Nothing about more fuel efficient V6 engines with chargers or turbos. It's sad to see the V8 engines are a slowly dying breed. I feel the SLK 55 cars will become highly collectible similar to the BMW Z8 models which presently take $250,000 and rising. BMW axed that car and went the journey with their 4 and 6 cylinder models and the BMW Z8 suddenly became highly desirable. I only wish there were someone who knew the production numbers on the SLK55 AMG models. It seems obvious to me that they are probably lower than the BMW Z8 production numbers. Now that Mercedes stopped producing the SLK55 AMG. The retractable hardtop and naturally aspirated V8 in a two seat roadster with that beautiful deep V8 sound will be missed by the masses while all the car manufacturers turn their attention to 4 and 6 cylinder engines and electric cars with ragtops to eliminate weight.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,376 Posts
Interesting to know and agree that future values may well go up.

However, I bought mine because I loved the 55.
I'll be keeping mine because I get grumpy when it is not in my line of sight.

Lovely to look at,
lovely to hold.
No way in this life,
ever to be sold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.