Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my old Series III AMG alloys got stolen, I've been on a wheel hunt. I've just purchased a set of CLS alloys:
Fronts are 18x8.5 et25 with 255/40/18 tyres
Rears are 18x9.5 et28 with 285/35/18 tyres

Im now worried that these wheels wont fit, after reading some other posts...

What do you people think?

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
I'm running:

Front 19/8.5/32 with 235/35/19
Back 19/9.5/35 with 265/30/19

I am running 10mm spacers in the front because my wheels were rubbing my calipers, but I probably could go 5mm and be fine, I just haven't done it yet.

So far so good, I put them on in the late spring this year and they look great (my opinion!) LOL

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,241 Posts
I think they will be way to wide, especially the fronts. Recommandation for fronts is 7.5 ET37 and 225 tyre. Your offset will now be 25 which pushes the wheel 12 mm more outwards. And your tyre will be 30 mm wider. Even without spacers (if that will fit) I think the wheel will stick out too much sideways and possibly rub your fenders when driving. If you want to use these rims fit the 255 on the rear rims and buy some smaller 225 or 235 for the fronts.
Another thing to be aware of is that if they come from a CLS chances are that the holes for the wheelbolts are for 14 mm bolts whereas your SLK has 12 mm bolts. The seating for a 14 mm bolt is different than that for a 12 mm, so you will have to use special bolts with a 12 mm thread and a 14 mm head to have the wheels fitted in a secure way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fastdawg, The wheels look really nice! and thanks for including your current setup.

Thanks for the advice pete. The wheels arrive soon, so i can give an update then!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after changing tyre set up to

Front 255/40/18
Rear 255/35/18

my wheels fit on my car without too much of a problem, or so i thought. I got the wheels on, put my bolts in and went to drive off after doing some basic checks. As soon as i started driving my rear wheels are making an awful ticking noise... they dont appear to be catching on anything. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've ended up buying special bolts that have 26mm of thread, Ball seated. They're in fine, the noise has gone and the car looks gorgeous! Going to upload some photos soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts