Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
you didn't want a 280/300 anyway. Get at least a 350 :D

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Many guys on here including me, took quite a while finding the right car. Can be frustrating, but it is worth it in the end.

Your profile says you're looking for an AMG?

If you haven't done it, have a good look at others with similar age and spec etc to give you an idea of how much it is over valued.

Could try ringing them again in a few days to see if they would reconsider?

However, if it ticks all the boxes don't let an extra couple of hundred or so stop you getting it. I felt I paid a bit over the odds for mine at the time, but remain very happy I got it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I paid £17000 for my 2007 55 with 32000 miles
and it was (is) in excellent condition Russ! :tu:

... other than the very slight dent that was on top of the front wing, where someone was a little too vigorous in checking the suspension! :D

Reactions: 55russamg and Col

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
If you are looking for the SLK55 as what is stated in your profile, be patient and don't settle for anything less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all, ideally I am looking for a 55 but tbh im finding it hard to find the 'right one' for circa £15k, I do want a 2005 slk55 but cant find any :-(

A few high milers 100k>140k but im not willing to touch them

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Thanks all, ideally I am looking for a 55 but tbh im finding it hard to find the 'right one' for circa £15k, I do want a 2005 slk55 but cant find any :-(

A few high milers 100k>140k but im not willing to touch them
If it's a 55 that you want, then hold out for one... the wait is definitely worth it!

I think it took Russ ( @55russamg ) about 6 months to find the right one (after I stole the one I now have right from under his nose while he was on holiday)! >:D

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Found this one:
Mercedes-Benz SLK 5.4 SLK55 AMG 7G-Tronic 2dr

Its abit of a trek for me but seems a solid example, 64k miles circa £15k

I tried doing a MOT history checks but the reg doesn't show up.

Thoughts...
That looks interesting, and it's a shame it's so far away from you. :(

A couple of other comments...
  • It appears to be well spec'd, with most options except parktronic (if you can get the VIN of it, you can request a datacard for it, showing the factory options it has)
  • I think the wheels may have been refurb'd at some point, as they don't appear to have the diamond cut edges any more (although I guess many cars of that age are like that now anyway - mine is)
  • the MOT history checks don't always work with cars that have had their reg changed (sometimes do, but sometimes don't) - mine didn't return a history when I checked at one point in the past... is the "NIL" plate a cherished plate, or Northern Ireland, or something else

The challenge for you really is to get to know enough about it's true condition before you commit to travel that distance to see it. Perhaps asking the seller to take a close-up video around and inside the car might help somewhat?

Would be interested in hearing what you decide to do, if anything... :D

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Found this one:
Mercedes-Benz SLK 5.4 SLK55 AMG 7G-Tronic 2dr

Its abit of a trek for me but seems a solid example, 64k miles circa £15k

I tried doing a MOT history checks but the reg doesn't show up.

Thoughts...
Looks great. The all important service history. I like the fact that the previous owner bought a mercedes warranty, and it's expensive. Check the out of the routine servicing items have been done, like gearbox service at 40k and plugs, and the all important and very expensive discs condition / when replaced.

I agree with Dave about detailed pictures of the car and service records etc would be good before travelling that far. Ask him to photograph any marks or scratches.

Also most dealers HPI their cars before buying them in, ask for a copy to check it out.

Reactions: dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
There is no data stored for Irish cars, like mine.They use a different system. Only mot done in this country. Check the door shut/jam area as the seatbelt buckle can get shut in the door and damage the bodywork.
as Dave said no parktronic, a long bonnet and close rear pillars when the roof is up makes this a very useful option. You can retro fit though. Take a tick list with you so you do not miss anything. See sime posts I have put on, traffic light lists are very good, any Red walk away, Amber negotiations, Green ok.
as I said earlier come and join us for breakfast and ask questions.

·
Banned
973 Posts
QUALITY SERVICE IS REMEMBERED LONG AFTER PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

IF YOU ONLY DEAL WITH THE LOWEST BIDDER YOU MAY NOT GET ALL YOU WANT & THEN HAVE TO SPEND MORE TO ACHIEVE YOU DREAM

apologies to Messrs Royce & Ruskin or is it Rolls & Ruskin?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.