Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with most of the snow gone and the weather warming up, I've been catching myself just standing and staring at the car sleeping there under cover more and more. Too much so...soooo, off came that cover today. Knew it wouldn't stop at that though...just removing the cover. That was just the start of a slippery slope that could only end up with sitting in the drivers seat again...first time since last November. And, of course, THAT could only lead to inserting the key...and firing the beast up.

So that's exactly what I did as she fired on the first turn of the key, and with a snarling, spitting, rumble she awoke. I just sat there and listend...and listened...and grinned and smiled and listened some more. It's been a long long time since November last. Let everything come up to temp, checked around, under and in the car for anything untoward. Nothing...of course. Only one thing left to do...slipped it into gear and eased out of the garage. Idled down the driveway, slowly oozed into the street and away we went... absorbing all the old sensory inputs that's so much a part of just enjoying driving a car like this - the sounds, the feel, the motion...everything that just makes it all feel "right". Did a few easy miles, again checking everything out, and again all seemed as it should be.

Only one last tumble to make, sliding down that slope...ESP "off", car into "sport" mode, idled down to turn into a parking lot and return back towards home...again easing out into an empty (Sunday - industrial park) 4 lane roadway...then...grining before it even happened....NAILED IT...the car scabbles for traction, rear steps out and gets squirrely for an instant and then bites hard going into second gear...the 5.4L now BELLOWING it's baritone V8 song through the exhuast, and I'm nailed back into the seat as the accel just piles on - almost...almost! forgot just how violent that rocketing up through the lower gears can be in this car. In what seems just a flash of time I'm up to do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-200-dollars-go-straight-to-jail numers on the speedo and I have to let sanity rein it all in again. The car rumbles down through the gears... and all is right with the world again.

Just sat back in cruise mode now, once more relaxing and just tuning out to that sweet V8 music while completing the return leg home. Pulled into the drive and back into the garage, shut it down and slowly climbed out. Stood there awhile, listening to the tink tink tink of cooling metal, reliving driving the car for the first time all over again. It's going to be another GOOD year! :burnout:

Gawd I missed that...R)

Cue Aerosmith...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Glad to hear she fired up fine. Finally got out today because it was finally fairly nice. I mean, my God, it had been 3 weeks!!:biglaugh: I don't know how you survive for months!

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Nice...I felt like I was there with you :)
Me too, Bill 3 days ago we just got a Tornado for the first time in Kuwait which a rapid speed of 56mph. It only lasted 15 minutes but basically, it started out with strong dust which really blocked the view and then suddenly it was raining hard and large chunks of hail was coming down.

I was extremely saddened that day as the weather was terrific an hour before the disaster happed, in such way you'd want to drive the car for a long trip.

The results of the tornado made our TV satellite fall down from the house, trees were removed from their roots and Street advertisement's broken, however nothing too dramatic happened and the death poll was 2-3 people for the whole of kuwait.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is and global warming could be a cause, it was a mix of tornado, hurricane and all when I first saw it I was very frightened as this never ever happened during my life time in my home country.
Scary stuff Mohammed - we too have never had tornadoes, and I'm not complaining we don't either! *L*

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear she fired up fine. Finally got out today because it was finally fairly nice. I mean, my God, it had been 3 weeks!!:biglaugh: I don't know how you survive for months!
Absence makes the heart grow fonder! :tu:

·
Registered
676 Posts
...we just got a Tornado for the first time in Kuwait which a rapid speed of 56mph. ....
sorry to hear there where casualties in kwt, global weather is changing rapidly in the last few years, and the worse is yet to come, i'm afraid...

unfortunately the storms in the gulf also affected marine operations at several regional oil ports like mina' al ahmadi, ra's al khafji, mina' su'ud, and basrah, and i pretty much spent the weekend in front of my notebook :mad: ...

brgds/ir-ops

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
sorry to hear there where casualties in kwt, global weather is changing rapidly in the last few years, and the worse is yet to come, i'm afraid...

unfortunately the storms in the gulf also affected marine operations at several regional oil ports like mina' al ahmadi, ra's al khafji, mina' su'ud, and basrah, and i pretty much spent the weekend in front of my notebook :mad: ...

brgds/ir-ops
Thanks for the reply irops and I am sorry if I set the thread to an offtopic.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
:biglaugh: I grinned with you Bill. Appropriate musical conclusion. :tu:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
gasp i want an amg....

I went just about 3 months even without driving mine, when i started it up and went out, I went threw half a tank of gas! it was great, but than wasnt able to drive it again for about 3 weeks. Big mistake. DOnt tease yourself, hopefully youll be able to rip it up again soon

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weather is supposed to take a much bigger turn for the better tomorrow and over the weekend, you can bet I'll be going through a tank...or two! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
gasp i want an amg....

I went just about 3 months even without driving mine, when i started it up and went out, I went threw half a tank of gas! it was great, but than wasnt able to drive it again for about 3 weeks. Big mistake. DOnt tease yourself, hopefully youll be able to rip it up again soon
ahh what a bummer, I hope you enjoyed that day. :biglaugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts