Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To trickle or not-that is the question

5K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  DSSG 
#1 ·
For the seasoned 170 owners..

Last winter was the first time she was garaged for an extended period of time. And of course, spring came and she was dead as a doornail because I didn't bother to put a trickle charger on her. Now mind you-I did all of the other maintenance. She was waxed, had stabil in the tank, had a cover, checked over completely before the dust cover went on.

But the old garage was garbage, and had no insulation. Basically it protected her from the rain and snow and that was it.

Fast forward to today in the Midwest fall and I'm in a new situation with her. New house with an attached garage [it's not heated but it's solid as a rock and well insulated].

Do you think I still need a trickle this season? She's not getting put away yet, we have weeks and weeks yet to drive.

Any and every comment/suggestion is appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
Absolutely - but not a "trickle charger". You need a "battery maintainer". Something like the popular "Battery Tender". These are very tightly controlled chargers that constantly measure the charge in the battery - and turn themselves on/off as needed and supply the best charging or maintaining voltage for any situation.

Keeping a starting battery fully charged can greatly extend its useful life. The cost savings in batteries can easily pay for the Battery Tender in short order.

See for example: http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

FWIW,
Carl B.

#5 ·
I totally agree. Very wise advice. Anything over two to 4 days on "standby in garage" and I whack the old tender on her. She really appreciates it and never lets me down to a first time start-up.

I believe that these cars are drawing power all the time even with ignition key on the kitchen table, so "keep 'er topped" up is my motto.

#3 ·
I would use a battery maintainer without question.

CTEK is known for making a good one and I have had no issues with mine.

Reactions: slk320chick
#6 ·
Solar trickle/conditioner for me ... It goes where I go .... great so far (unless it's dark ... but most of the time during the day it's outside ..)

I'm looking into a tidier version - I need a 'spare' parcel shelf to hack about first..

#14 ·
True, but owners in the Great White North typically get a lot of snow, and storing the SLK while the white stuff and corrosive melt chemicals are around makes a lot of sense.

Even here in the Great Wet Pacific Northwest, it's likely that Sunhilde will slumber for a month or so at a stretch since it's not uncommon for us to get rain every day (often all day) for four or five weeks straight. She won't be going outside in those conditions...and a battery tender is on my Christmas list.

#10 ·
Yes , please do the battery maintainer bit.

#12 ·
Good to see you Chickie ! Glad to hear you have a few more weeks of top down fun left in Chicago. I'm back in Tennessee now so I get to drive mine all winter.

Even then I use a battery tender most days. I lost a battery and replaced it, and three months later my car wouldn't start. I put it on a battery tender and haven't had a problem since.

#15 ·
Ok so the research has begun but now these chargers get into voltage specifics. I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Would this model be okay?

CTEK Charger - US 800 OQC

Features

The Ideal Maintenance Charger
Flexible for different battery needs
Fully automatic – for charging and maintenance
Patented desulphation function
Compatible with other electronic equipment
Made for all weather conditions and situations
Designed for safety
4 Step Charging Process

Technical Data

Input voltage AC: 100-115VAC, 50-60Hz
Output voltage: Nominal: 12V
Efficiency: HIGH 85%
Charging voltage: 14.4V
Charging current: 0.8A max
Back current drain: *<1mAh per month
Ripple: ** 2%
Ambient temperature: -4°F to +122°F, output power is reduced automatically at higher temperatures
Type of charger: 4 step, fully automatic switch mode with pulse maintenance
Type of batteries: 12V lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, AGM, GEL and Ca)
Battery capacity: 1.2-100Ah
Dimensions (LxWxH): 5½ x 2 × 1½ inches
Insulation: IP65 (splash and dust proof)
Certifications: UL
Weight: 0.7lbs
Warranty: 5 years

#18 ·
Ok so the research has begun but now these chargers get into voltage specifics. I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Would this model be okay?

CTEK Charger - US 800 OQC
That charger would work just fine. I have a slightly more expensive/capable model, but if maintenance is all you need, this well certainly do the job. CTEK chargers work very well in my experience.

#16 ·
I've used a Battery Tender for several years. It came with a short run of wire that had ring terminals on one end to go inside the nuts on the terminal clamp bolts and a shielded all weather plug on the other. I ran the plug to just outside the grill making it very easy and quick to plug in the maintainer lead wire without leaving the hood open.

Seem to remember there is a DIY on the site describing how to get the wire outside the battery box without too much trouble.

#17 ·
Just to be the odd one out ...

I have a another car that can sit for months without moving it .
I just remove the negative cable , whenever I need to use it I just reconnect and it starts first time !
A lot greener and cheaper than the charger method ....
I have one of these on just to make it easier/quicker :

UNIVERSAL CAR - Battery Isolator Cut Off Switch | eBay

#19 ·
No doubt. Battery Tender is the way to go in all seasons. They even have a new unit out that has four(4) terminals so it can charge 4 different vehicle at a time. I have a unit that does two(2) at a time that works great for my 99 ford diesel f350 dually as it has two(2) batteries. I also have single units that i use on my street bike and quads. I have never had to change a battery on any of my motorcycles or collector cars. I have a wire that connects directly to the battery(bolts on) that has quick connect to battery tender. That wire comes with the tender along with alligator clamps type wire as well to move charge between vehicle. Best investment ever.

#21 ·
Yes. Mercedes Benz uses CTek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.