Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from a hard day’s work a new VW sedan something or other comes up fast behind then beside me and starts taunting me, I’m thinking to myself “a VW? Really? a VW?”. I ignore him but he persists. I give the gas pedal a quick stab and quickly get ahead of him, this gets him even more wound up. We get to a red light and we’re side by side, I look over and see that it’s a young 20 something kid. He looks over at me, sits up even higher on his seat and revs his engine. I can tell he’s excited and ready to go. “A VW? Really? a VW?,,,, you sure you want to do this?”. We’re about 10 blocks from home in a busy residential street. It’s an uphill and the crest is about one and a half blocks away. As we’re sitting waiting for the light I’m thinking “To kill? or not to kill?. Residential street, What or who’s on the other side of the hill, Is he worth my time and effort?”. The light changes he steps on the gas and speeds away, I on the other hand just took off normally at a moderate speed and let him live. This was not the right place to race. I must be getting old, or just being responsible.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
That's great! BTW I do that all the time. Sometimes I initiate it by revving the engine and bumping on the brake at a light. Then the other speeds of and I just grin to myself.

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
You called it exactly right in my book.

You knew you could.
You knew the risks.

I wouldn't even risk it if the oppositions car had value in those circumstances.
One moment of potential glory vs the risk of kid, cop or the kill being a nutter in a stolen that rams.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Good call methinks0:)

Roxane taunting folk at the lights, reminds of a mate who taunted local drivers at the lights in Saudi. At that time and it may be the same today, local drivers would only stop at a light when they really had to and invariably the front "rank" of drivers were so far over the line they couldn't see the lights change!
And so the drivers behind would sound their horns to alert the front "rank that the lights had gone green. This had become the norm and most drivers in pole position on hearing the horns would press the pedal to the metal to avoid holding up those behind any longer than he could.
Well my mate, we'll call him Keith..........cos that was his real name:grin: whenever he was about three cars back from the front rank would watch the traffic flow sequence and just before his lights turned green he would lean on his horn and watch the whole "circus" take off as one on a drag strip like their life depended on it straight into the traffic flowing across the junction. :surprise: I never thankfully saw any crashes from this irresponsible behaviour but the confusion and chaos was a site to behold. Obviously Keith didn't do this when he was in a hurry as clearing the junction could take some time :frown:

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,926 Posts
Good adult decision. Young drivers have no fear of injuring/killing someone they have the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts