Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any UK owners who may have a view on this please as they are aware of uk costs and issues re fuel etc?

I currently drive a 2009 E320 sport which is fully load with all extras at 38,000 miles (In excellent condition) and while the SLK 55 AMG is of great interest I am wrestling with what to do about things for a few reasons. Facts

I have found a 2005 SLK 55 AMG with 32,000 miles and have looked at the car quite closely. The car is immaculate in all respects and appears to have been garaged and very well cared for. It is for sale at £20,000 and I have been offered £17,000 as part ex with an option to take out a 2 year MB warranty Tier 1 I believe it is called (It comes with 12 months giving 3 years warranty) Cost of warranty a one off £1,090. May be dealer specific not MB direct?

I have spent a couple of days reading this forum and there is a great deal of information though at times conflicting and confusing some of which is due to members from other countries contributing and costs, measurements etc are different.

I have had a Sports car in the past which was a garaged occasional sunday car 12,000 miles in eleven years (TVR Chimeara V8 4 Ltr)

I would be utilising this car on a daily basis with about 10-12,000 miles PA getting in and out of work.

Posts on here seem to indicate that values are dropping fast and while that only matters if you intend to re sell in the near future, if you have the car as a keeper that may not matter as long as the running cost do not suddenly get very prohibitive Ie year 10 - 12 of ownership?

What is the long term view of running costs (Big ticket maintenance reliability) on a vehicle of this age (6 years) do you think it worth the gamble as things stand? does the MB warranty package that they are telling me about sound right?

From this forum I have read about average MPG's ranging from 17 to 32 MPG the later of which I suspect is very ambitious and I am working on 22 to 24 for A road driving in and out work with some motorway over to Yorkshire from Lancashire etc. (55 years old not interested in tear arseing around just normal driving)

The car looks and sounds terrific and I am aware that in reality the forum is unable to help and I need to simply make a decision here but age seems to be making it harder to make impulse purchases as i used to.

Am I just being a tit thinking of going in this direction buying a car that I clearly do not need or is this all part of the therapy?

David

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It's difficult to know what you're really asking - OK, it's not. You have all the facts, sound's like you've already made up your mind, you're just wanting us to back up your decision!!

Problem is, you've come to the wrong place - most people here will just say 'Go for it' :biglaugh:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I dont need my 350 at all But that doesnt stop me enjoying it. The drop in values is like any expensive car and not as bad as some. I think we buy these cars because we want something more interesting than the run of the mill saloon or hatchback. I am 68 I dont race around but I dont dawdle either. I just enjoy the comfort and power. I reckon an SLK 55 well maintained is nigh on as bullet proof as you can get. But thats just my opinion

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,157 Posts
Go for it!!!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
FYI, Tier 1 MB coverage was £745 last year on my 05 '55. As others have said, go for it if you can live with an awesome two seater, and if it's an '05 reg, you should be in the grandfathered tax band.

Make sure the transmission service has been done, and spark plugs have been changed - they should be due based on time, and are two of the more expensive items on the service menu.

Make sure the brake disks are in good condition, as they are another expensive (£1k) item.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi David

As said make sure the discs are new as about 30-35k for the fronts is the limit if driven as they should be , As you are already a Merc fan what other model would you consider , I was in two minds between the SL & SLK 55's but the running cost of the bigger SL55 is far more than a SLK55 & for what about 0.5 sec 0-62 , The roof in the boot is a big bonus in this country as a soft top is so 1990's :rb. we have done about 18k in our 55 and ave 22mpg (im no tree hugger) the book tells you 30mpg is the max your get . If you do pick up a 55 just make sure you keep it clean as it will have its picture taken nearly ever time you park it up some where & thats no joke .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
45 Posts
From this forum I have read about average MPG's ranging from 17 to 32 MPG the later of which I suspect is very ambitious and I am working on 22 to 24 for A road driving in and out work with some motorway over to Yorkshire from Lancashire etc. (55 years old not interested in tear arseing around just normal driving)

The car looks and sounds terrific and I am aware that in reality the forum is unable to help and I need to simply make a decision here but age seems to be making it harder to make impulse purchases as i used to.
Well, I'm not from the UK and I'm not sure the average price per gallon there.

But here in the US it takes between $40-50 (27-32 pounds) (Note. This is at about $3.20/gallon (2 pounds/gallon)) to fill up and you can get between 250-300 miles on one tank. Not too bad if you ask me. (Then again, my parents pay for the gas.)

Although, with about 16 combined mpg, I'm not sure how well the SLK 55 would do as a daily driver. I have seen several 2007-2009 SLK 300/350 ranging from $30,000 - $40,000 (19,300 - 25,700 pounds) but the difference in mpg is only about 4-6 and I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

I say, go for it! Fun car to drive...if not to go fast, then just to be seen in it. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you seen the 350 up for sale on e-bay? 890 miles and only 23k registered on a 59 plate! Thats a steal!!!!
Just food for thought

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ta

I think the first respondent was right I know what I want to do and what i will end up doing? all part of the process thanks for your replies.

David

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Did the write off show up from an HPI check ? They are on very dodgy ground selling it the way its described. I would be inclined to report it to ebay to save someone being ripped off.

I just ran it through my AA check and its showing up as an insurance TOTAL LOSS. I wonder if this is a ringer ??

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Did the write off show up from an HPI check ? They are on very dodgy ground selling it the way its described. I would be inclined to report it to ebay to save someone being ripped off.

I just ran it through my AA check and its showing up as an insurance TOTAL LOSS. I wonder if this is a ringer ??

This is the top of the AA report Seems odd that its listed as a Cat D but insurers chose not to repair but to write it off. ?????

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
E-mail sent, I will let you know what is said. I would hate it if anyone were to spend their hard earned cash on something that wasn't what it was advertised to be.Especially as earlier on in this thread I suggested taking a look at this car:confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.