Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here. Finally got it together after almost non stop research for the last couple of months on the SLK. Tomorrow I will pick up my "new to me" 2009 SLK 300, black on black with 60,000 miles and very good service records. I'm hoping for the best. The most immediate question I have is this: The car has Bridgestone Blizzak tires with 6-7000 miles on them. On the test drive on drive pavement they seemed to perform well. A little noise but not all that noticeable. The question is, are these tires serviceable during the summer as well as winter? Won't be doing a lot of aggressive driving unless I have to! Most of the driving will be in summer but maybe a little in winter. I know these tires have very good reviews for winter but haven't found any summer driving opinions. Will they get too soft in 80-90 degree temps. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Should I just run them until the tread wear gets down or plan on replacing after this winter?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,902 Posts
Sure you can use blizzak's in the summer.

They'll just wear like crazy because winter's shouldn't be used above +7oC. Which is about 45F. If you're never going to drive in the winter (current winter notwithstanding), they run 'em down.

If you will then get summer's in the spring and save the blizzaks for next winter.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,406 Posts
Blizzaks? Are they a Bridgestone subsidiary make?

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/winter-snow-tires

Extract:
Don't wait too long to remove them
Winter tires are designed for optimum performance in winter conditions while summer and all-season tires are designed for summer performance. Driving on winter tires in the warmer months is not what they are designed for and can cause the tires to wear out faster.
No matter what kind of tires you drive on, be mindful of wintery road conditions and the possibility of encountering surfaces that are more slippery than others. It is always best to slow down and give yourself more time to get where you want to go. Making snow tire installation a seasonal habit also helps improve safety on the road. If you encounter snowy, icy and slushy conditions each year, a full set of winter tires isn't just a matter of convenience - it's a precaution that could prevent an accident.

If you're thinking of replacing as they wear, you'd have to replace all 4, rather than one at a time. Winter/Summer tyre combinations are not good.

I think the set for winter and another for summer may be your best option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts