Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gelbe Gefahr has a bit to go on the tires it came with, whatever they are. I'm going to have them balanced and the alignment checked today.

But I like to be ready. It will need new tires by this Fall.

I'll stick with the standard wheels and sizing, 205/55R16 - 225/50R16. I see that the Pirelli Cinturato P7s are available in a V rated tire in these sizes. Anyone used them yet and care to share any comments?

Any other tire suggestions? I live near San Francisco so mostly summer and light rainy conditions year round, I don't drive in the snow much if at all.

(yeah, it's a 2000 SLK 230 Kompressor ... ;-)

tanks in advance.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Personal preferences: Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics, and maybe Continental DW.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal preferences: Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics, and maybe Continental DW.
Interesting, thank you.

What customer feedback I have been able to find seems to frequently dis the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Continental DW tires.

The Goodyear Eagle GT (V) seem to get good marks. The Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position seem to get the best marks in class. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 seem to be either too new or too rare to have garnered any feedback.

hmm hmm hmm

Godfrey

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Have P7's on our R171.

I like them, quiet, predictable, good grip in the dry and still good wet performance. Get about 15k miles out of the rears, 30k miles out of the fronts..

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have P7's on our R171.

I like them, quiet, predictable, good grip in the dry and still good wet performance. Get about 15k miles out of the rears, 30k miles out of the fronts..
Thanks for another data point! Nice to know the Pirelli P7s are worth thinking about.

Godfrey

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I have the Super Sports and they are working well so far.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is there any number or letter writen on tire to indicate their noise level? My OEM michelin starting to make lot of noise now. I am also looking for replacement soon. My list narrow to Mechelin Super Sport and Conti DW. I don't mind paying extra more on Mechelin if its worthy.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Is there any number or letter writen on tire to indicate their noise level? My OEM michelin starting to make lot of noise now. I am also looking for replacement soon. My list narrow to Mechelin Super Sport and Conti DW. I don't mind paying extra more on Mechelin if its worthy.
There is no label or measurement for noise level. Expectations are limited to user reviews unfortunately.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comments.

I visited the tire dealer I work with yesterday and looked at several of these tires. It is so hard to know how a particular tire is going to work!

But I've decided to go with a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires in the stock sizings. I've had good experiences with Bridgestones in the past, these garner outstanding reviews ...

They've got to be better than the Nexius Zi 427 that are on the car, eh? :)

Be sure to post warnings...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I spent over a week researching tires and ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. They seem very promising and at a very good price.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spent over a week researching tires and ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. They seem very promising and at a very good price.
I'll be interested to hear your experiences using them.

You must have 17" or larger diameter rims as I don't see these tires available in the 205/55-16 or 225/50-16 sizings that I need. I don't want to buy new wheels at this time ... perhaps in a couple of years. The Goodyear Eagle GT (V) are the ones available in the stock 16" sizes. I considered them, but felt the Bridgestones were likely a bit better performer (albeit more expensive).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I got 19" back 265/30/19 front 235/35/19. I will set them up hopefully mid of next week. I'm out of town right now can't wait until i get back and get to test out the new wheels and tires set.

Supposedly these tires are a new model that hit the market who knows maybe they'll be setting smaller tires.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Yeah I got 19" back 265/30/19 front 235/35/19. I will set them up hopefully mid of next week. I'm out of town right now can't wait until i get back and get to test out the new wheels and tires set.

Supposedly these tires are a new model that hit the market who knows maybe they'll be setting smaller tires.
The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's were not available when I had to replace the rear tires. I am however quite satisfied with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport after 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
just got bridgestone pole position s-04's 225/40-18 in front and 245/35-18 in back- nice so far but not many miles yet...couldnt see paying $$ for pilots, they're too expensive..

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the new Bridgestones fitted yesterday. I've put 150 miles on them now. They work well, nice ride, good steering response and stick. Much better than the junk that was on the car.

They'll suit my use well, I think. I'll let y'all know in a thousand miles or three. ;-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting tire discussion

It seems that discussions involving tires usually center around 3 factors: subjective judgements (I like 'em, noise, and price). Many tire decisions are made based upon price alone.

One almost never hears of verified (testing) stopping distances in dry, wet, snowy conditions or cornering G forces achieved. One would think these performance measurements would be paramount in tire buying decisions. After all stopping distance will, in many/most situations, determine whether a crash occurs or not.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
I have the Pirelli PZeros and have been quite pleased with handling, noise, wear, and comfort. I have not had the SLK long enough to have other tires so no comparison from me is possible. I can't say anything about snow as we don't get very much in Southern Arizona and if we do I'm driving the truck with All-Wheel drive.

·
Registered
844 Posts
...One almost never hears of verified (testing) stopping distances in dry, wet, snowy conditions or cornering G forces achieved. One would think these performance measurements would be paramount in tire buying decisions. After all stopping distance will, in many/most situations, determine whether a crash occurs or not.
Try tirerack.com for comparative tests.

G.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had Conti Contact Sports on my old 200K 2004, a very good all round tyre but a slightly hard ride. Lasted 30K miles.
Also tried Kumho much cheaper didnt last as long but softer ride.
Value for money Kuhmo, preformance Conti.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts