·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions on tires for the 55.

I just replaced the stock rear Pirelli's with a set
of Toyo's and it seems to have completely screwed
up the handling.

Apparently it has to do with sidewall rigidity.

So now I get to go back to the shop and see if I can get any sort of deal on a new set with less than 1K on the ones I just put on.

Anyone have any recommendations for great performance tires for the 55?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
so far after trying pirrelli rosso's, es100 and mich ps2's id go with the Yokomama ES100. Cheap and performance wise as good as the PS2's if not better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to take it on the twisties as often as possible but for the most part, I use it for commuting to LA . the roads are a mix of concrete and asphalt. no track time yet but I'm thinking of taking it out to buttonwillow eventually.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with Michelin Pilot Sports, not PS2's. Pirelli's and concrete is not compatible for me. Pilot Sports are bumpy on worn concrete roads / freeways but not as bad as Pilot Sport PS2's. For everyday driving, I'd go with Pilot Sports.
I found the exact opposite to be true...I replaced Michelin Pilot Sports with Michelin PS2's and the ride improved a lot and the PS2's are also much quieter. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I found the exact opposite to be true...I replaced Michelin Pilot Sports with Michelin PS2's and the ride improved a lot and the PS2's are also much quieter. Go figure.

same here. i just put on 235 35 19 and 265 30 19 ps2's on and i immediately noticed a smoother and more quiet ride. i haven't had the chance to test their handling but so far i'm well impressed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've run Toyo T1-S rears (265/30/19) and changed to Yokohama Advan Sports. What a night and day difference. Never buy Toyos unless you're cheap and don't care about performance. The Yoko's are amazing, you SLK55er's should try them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Came with P Zero Rosso's, changed to P Zero Nero's at 8K, and then changed to GY GSD3's at 16K. I've had them all on the track and the Goodyears handle much better. They're also quiet and the street ride quality is excellent. My next set will be another set of GSD3's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.