Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now at the point I knew I'd be at last fall, it's time for tire replacement. Just not sure where I want to go. So a couple of questions as I've read the posts with everyone weighting in, I don't want to get fancy. I'm at 17's stock (staggered on my 2007 350), I'm thinking about 18's and 19's.

Question one:
If I go from 17's to 19's, will I regret going all the way to 19, I've heard that it seems as though 18's are the sweet spot, but 19's look soooo great. Is the ride quality that poor/harsh on the 19's to make you shy away and go 18?

Question two:
What are the sizes for the 18's and 19's in the sweet spots for wheels and tires where I don't have to go nuts cutting the inside of the fender wells and jumping through hoops. I just want to be able to install, and go. If I have to lower, that's okay, just don't want to have to cut or do a lot of extra. I'm not interested in the extremes, just the sweet spot for 18's and 19's. I'm sure there is one for each.

I know there are charts, I can go to a dealer, but they don't drive SLK's, we do. That's why the opinion is important. I've love 19's look, but they can't break the back! LOL I'd like to change the appearance of the Dawg to the DAWG!!!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm now at the point I knew I'd be at last fall, it's time for tire replacement. Just not sure where I want to go. So a couple of questions as I've read the posts with everyone weighting in, I don't want to get fancy. I'm at 17's stock (staggered on my 2007 350), I'm thinking about 18's and 19's.

Question one:
If I go from 17's to 19's, will I regret going all the way to 19, I've heard that it seems as though 18's are the sweet spot, but 19's look soooo great. Is the ride quality that poor/harsh on the 19's to make you shy away and go 18?

Question two:
What are the sizes for the 18's and 19's in the sweet spots for wheels and tires where I don't have to go nuts cutting the inside of the fender wells and jumping through hoops. I just want to be able to install, and go. If I have to lower, that's okay, just don't want to have to cut or do a lot of extra. I'm not interested in the extremes, just the sweet spot for 18's and 19's. I'm sure there is one for each.

I know there are charts, I can go to a dealer, but they don't drive SLK's, we do. That's why the opinion is important. I've love 19's look, but they can't break the back! LOL I'd like to change the appearance of the Dawg to the DAWG!!!!
18 is the most I would go, 19 would border on "shattering your back".

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
"19's"

Question one:

Question two:

FYI only. I know this is an MB W203, but I put 19's on this and the ride was ok - which surprised me and wasn't too bumpy. This was my car before my SLK...:biglaugh:

Attachments

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
I think it depends a lot on your suspension as well . If you have the normal suspension you'd probably be ok with 19"s . I have the sports suspension , ( put in by a previous owner which I didn't know until I drove someone elses car with 19 " wheels ) and the ride on mine with 17" is more noticable than the other with 19" and normal suspension .
Personally though , from a money point of view I'd settle for 18" as the rims and then the tyre replacements will be a lot cheaper !

·
Registered
579 Posts

Question one:

Question two:

This article on upsized wheels from Car and Driver may help you make your decision.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read the article, thanks, it didn't provide any surprises though. I'm more interested on tire/wheel pairing in the 18 & 19 in ranges without having to modify your car. in other words, 18" 8.5 & 9.5 wheels fit best with what size tires as an example. I'm interested in this for 19's too. There should be a sweet spot in 18 & 19's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts