Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the nine year-old tires on my 2001 SLK 320 with new all-season tires. Priorities are quiet, ride comfort and good handling on wet pavement. Welcome your recommendations.

·
Registered SLK230 Kompressor, 1998
373 Posts
If you wan't all-year tires I will for sure recommend Michelin CrossClimate. I have them on my Honda - the second set - they are quiet and make it possible to drive in both summer and winter. I live in Denmark where the weather in winter is more like slushice than it is snow, so for me it's a perfect match.

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
if you have the 17 inch rims as I have

you might struggle to find Cross-Climates for the rear, or indeed, many others. I know I gave up in late 2016 when i needed a new set all around.
If you have 17 rims, it may be worth getting a set of 16 inch and using those over the cold season with a far wider choice of tyre to fit.

·
373 Posts
you might struggle to find Cross-Climates for the rear, or indeed, many others. I know I gave up in late 2016 when i needed a new set all around.
If you have 17 rims, it may be worth getting a set of 16 inch and using those over the cold season with a far wider choice of tyre to fit.
Hmmm I wonder why this is so - in Denmark, there is no problem in finding CrossClimate tyres. I have 225/55 R17 on my Honda and the same size on my SLK. On the SLK I currently have Pirelli summer tyres. I am considering all-year tyres, but I don't think I will be driving in SLK much during winter so for now, I hold on to the summer tyres.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
94,987 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Since for me price is also a consideration (have others for autocrossing) mine has BFG Comp T/As, 225x55ZR16 front and 245/50ZR16 rear. I tried 18s & 19s but ride was too harsh. Since we have periodic frog stranglers, wet grip is paramount.

Attachments

·
800 Posts
you might be wearing the wrong size rubber there

Hmmm I wonder why this is so - in Denmark, there is no problem in finding CrossClimate tyres. I have 225/55 R17 on my Honda and the same size on my SLK. On the SLK I currently have Pirelli summer tyres. I am considering all-year tyres, but I don't think I will be driving in SLK much during winter so for now, I hold on to the summer tyres.
I thought we were meant to be on 245/40 on the back, which were the ones not made by Michelin when I looked.

·
373 Posts
Wrong size

I thought we were meant to be on 245/40 on the back, which were the ones not made by Michelin when I looked.
Now I have been digging into this. I have Bridgestone 225/45 R17 in both front and rear of my SLK - the same size as on my Honda. This is why I wrote as I did earlier on. BUT according to the manual of the SLK, I'm supposed to have 225/45 R17 in the front and 245/50 R17 in the rear. In the rear, it's also an acceptable alternative to have 245/40 R17, like you wrote.

So now - instead of giving an advice to a fellow SLK owner, on all-year tires, I ended up with a trip to the local tyre-store :frown:

·
800 Posts
that all depends on whether you have the staggered set-up

If you are on 81/2 J at the back, then the lower profile is the one you need. If you are on 71/2 all around, you won't be wrong on the higher profile.

I use these helpful people for locking nuts and the like. this chart is very useful.

Mercedes Alloys - Alloy Wheels Direct

1 - 10 of 10 Posts