Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just wanted to report in on tires.

In Feb 2013, I bought a set of budget tires, Accelera Alpha, a 30k tire, in an emergency, to get 4 matching good tires on the car. (It had 4 mismatched tires on it, and the 4 tires were down to the wear bars). They were $70/each plus installation (about $400 out the door), so a real bargain. I will tell you I was very happy with them, they served me well, tire wear was almost exactly to the mile to where they were rated. (The fronts still have lots of tread on them (but they're being gouged by the front fenders, so I have to get that fixed)

18 months and 30k miles later, I took the car in for an oil change and was told that the rear tires were worn on the inner side (I would not have noticed unless I looked carefully - something I'll need to pay more attention to in 25k miles). Apparantly this is normal behavior for MBZ and BMW according to the tire salesman.

After considerable research on the online forums, and conversations with both MBZ and friends, I decided to replace the rears with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 (Y rated) and will do the same with the fronts in a few weeks. They were about $200 each. My other choice was the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires and I decided on the Michelins (the Primacys were just a little more than I wanted to spend)

I'll check in after I've finished changing the front tires and "broken in" the new tires.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts