94,246 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
no, someone will respond.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
yes, I have on a prior car...excellent service and zero issues with fit...if they say it will fit it will in my experience...their database is awesome in searching for the right tire type...highly recommended...

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Tire Rack has a good search engine that lets you store your car and it will pull up matching pairs of tires (especially nice for those of us with staggered wheels.)

It also has a lot of reviews, and so you get to read what others have to say about the tires. I will say that there are a lot of differring opinions, so I tend to look for car models close to an SLK and/or the driving style I am wanting to match.

I have also used Discount Tire Direct with good results (Site Sponsor).

The forum also has plenty of threads started by folks wanting to know how certain brand and model tires perform on SLK's. They wear out a lot faster than on a regular car, as we tend to stress them more, they are Speed rated (soft rubber) and we can't rotate them due to the staggered sizes.

Best Wishes,

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
I just bought new shoes for my car. Searched locally, got the price, went on-line to Tirerack.com and got a MUCH better price. Went back to the local shops, showed them what I could get them for on-line and then THEY beat Tirerack's price.

Moral of the story (coming from a person who owns brick and mortar retail stores), keep the money in your own community as long as the local retailer is being competitive. Use the internet as a convenient tool to "pre-shop" and obtain prices. Then, keep your business local. That way not only is it more convenient if you have a problem or warranty issue down the road, but it also helps your own local economy with regard to local jobs and local sales tax which is necessary to keep our law enforcement, fire fighters and infrastructure working.

I ONLY buy things on-line when I have to, i.e. the brick and mortar isn't or won't compete or I just can't get the item locally. Even though a lot of money is spent on-line, believe me when I say that the manufacturers of these products would much rather you buy local for in the long run, it's better for them as well.

Done lecturing now.

Oh, and one last thing.......:biglaugh:, at my company we have price guarantees and I am sure you're local suppliers have similar guarantee's. When we price out an item, we make sure that we are at least the same price and 99% of the time, our prices are LOWER than what you find on the internet! This is the way retail business is done now and brick and mortar wants to be competitive. Now I'm done lecturing.

·
94,246 Posts
Steve, what do you sell? I'm looking for a fender! LOL!!!

·
94,246 Posts
no Boychik!!!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I just bought 4 new tires from them, have been doing business with them for years now. I have never had a single problem ordering through them. They always have my order on my doorstep within 24 hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used them on three occasions and have had nothing but excellent service. Their prices are hard to beat, shipping is prompt. Once I purchased a wheel/tire combo from them and they did a great job of balancing and shipping. They get an A+ from me.

·
Don't forget your cat nap
191 Posts
Has anyone else here used them before?

F)
I have not purchased from Tire Rack. I did however use them to my advantage in my last major wheel/tire acquisition. I took their price to Discount Tire. They matched the price, as is their policy. The Internet tire dealers often have handling as well as shipping charges that are not apparent until you are checking out. There are very tangible advantages from buying from a local dealer. These generally include free rotation and balancing for the life of the tires. I have found it very helpful being able to drive to the dealer and let them see any tire I have a concern or question about. Discount Tire has been very good to deal with. The fact that they have so many locations means a lot if you travel.

Ken

P.S. I have no financial interest in DT. I am sure there are other local dealers who will also treat you right.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to find my ups guy..he was the one that turned me onto them today. However I'm having trouble deciphering the installation issues. I was told today that they get installed at a local firestone facility but I haven't found it yet on the site.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've used Tire Rack for years with no problem. One nice feature is that you can see how the tires look on your car with the "view on vehicle" feature.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Chick...I think they have an 800 number... call them. I think their site lists installers near you based on your zip code. Poke around...call..they want your business.

BTW has anyone used Discount Tire? Looking for two front Yoko's..

·
Don't forget your cat nap
191 Posts
BTW has anyone used Discount Tire? Looking for two front Yoko's..
That is where I buy all my tires. I have been very pleased with them. They will match any price, Internet or local. I would guess each store can be different, but I have been very pleased with the after sale support of the local store.

Ken

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Just bought 4 tires from Sears online. Sear's price was better than Tirerack and they had a deal purchase $350 or greater get $40 off on each order online. Broke the order up and ordered two tires got the $40 off and then did a second order for two tires and got another $40 off. You order online and then go to your local Sears store for pickup and install. You order the insulations at the same time as you order the tires.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts