Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, as I continue to explore a 2012-2014 SLK250, I find many for sale that have the 18'' wheels, can anybody confirm if this wheel/suspension results in quick tire wear? how long can a set last if driven gently on these wheels ? or should I look for the 17'' wheels to get a little more tread life?

I may be driving up to 25k miles per year, so wear and tear parts will be an ongoing expense like brakes, tires etc.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
On my first CDI 250 I got about 12500 miles out of the rears on the original factory Bridgestones and the front Bridgestones were still fine at 22,000 miles when it went back off lease.

On my current CDi 250 at 19,000 miles the factory fit rears have 3.5mm tread left on them, so if I took them down to the 1.6mm wear bars I reckon I'd probably get over 23,000 miles out of them. The fronts at 19,000 miles are on 5.5mm tread and they'll do 30,000 miles plus I reckon.

I do mainly highway driving and I don't tend to spin the wheels up when I pull away.

In the 55 we also still have the factory tyres on at 9,000 miles. Rears are at 3.5mm and the fronts are at 7mm. But both of us drive that harder than the diesels.

18" tyres shouldn't wear out any faster than 17" either in my experience.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,445 Posts
It is not the size of the rim and it is the type of tire you have. A summer high performance tire will wear out a lot fast than an all season tire. The rears will out about twice as fast as the fronts. Check the wear numbers on the side walls will tell what you might expect. You see the high performance tires with numbers in low 200's while an all season tire will be near 500. For normal every day driving at normal highway speeds the all season is good. If you want to push the car to max and track it you will want the high performance tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Original tires lasted 18,000 miles. Front tires were ok but I replaced the set.
Current Continentals are holding up quite well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.