Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt 2013 SLK55 AMG now vibrates and makes slight rumbling sounds between 50 and 70 mph. When i closely examine the rear tires they are wearing a bit uneven, showing more wear on the inside edges.

I don't drive hard at all and the vehicle only has 10,800 miles on it. I religiously check and maintain tire pressures.

The vibration and slight rumbling seems to be coming from the rear of the car,

Anyone else experience this? Is this just how the stock continentals perform?
Are these tires prone to "take a set" or "flat spot" if not driven for a couple of weeks at a time?

dlomshek
Pittsburg, Kansas

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,349 Posts
check tire pressures in rear if you haven't

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,068 Posts
Check for tyre distortion as in going out of shape !!

If so tyres / tyres are us !

Replace .

Or alloy wheel buckled ?
Or just simply want re balancing.

·
Registered NO SLK but an SL 550
285 Posts
my experiences with Conti on an SLK 350 and an SL 550

A couple of things.
Conti tires get much noisier as they wear.
I had a slight vibration coming from the rear. Seat vibrates, but steering wheel doesn't. The problem was a slightly bent rear rim.
The rear right tire will wear the fastest. I can't recall if it was the outer or inner tread that wears the most, but it is definitely the right rear that will wear the quickest.
I have new wheels and tires on my SL. ContiContactSport 5P. Tires are noisy.
Car has been aligned, all tires balanced and I am still getting some cupping in the front tires. The right side strut and tire were just replaced. I'll be watching that tire for cupping to make sure the new strut solved that problem. I am taking the car to the dealer to look at the left front strut. Everything I read says that the most likely source for cupping is suspension damage, or the strut. The cupping does lead to more road noise and a bit of vibration. It also makes more noise. It's almost like a faint version of going over a joints on a highway except it isn't that since it still does it on a smooth blacktop highway.

I do not drive the car hard at all, and I also keep the pressures at spec. One interesting thing is that the dealers inflate the tires to the pressures listed on the fuel tank door, and not the driver side door jamb. The ones on the fuel tank door are higher.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.